Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kb1066
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought Arlo essentials and added 4 cameras to my system. My internet is on overload and everything is very slow and majority of the time not even connecting to see live view. Is there a way I can change my 2k cameras to a 1080 without taking them back and buying the 1080 version? 

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kb1066 wrote:

My internet is on overload 

What is your internet uplink speed?  (you probably should disarm the cameras betore testing this with speedtest.net).

Kb1066
Aspirant
Aspirant

27MBPs download and 37 upload first test with 4 pro 2s and 2 essentials connected.  46 download and 38 upload second test with just 2 essentials connected. 

I currently have 4 pro 2s which work fine. And 4 new essentials 2k that are just spinning when I try to live view. It also just spins when I try to change stuff in the app. Like I tried to turn 2 camera off in the app for the internet test and the app just spins. No problem turning the pro2s off  I’m just frustrated and not sure if I have an internet, camera or app issue. 

Kb1066
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also adding, the 4 pro2s are on my husbands account and through a hub. The 4 essentials 2k are  connected WIFI and on my account. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kb1066 wrote:

27MBPs download and 37 upload first test with 4 pro 2s and 2 essentials connected.  46 download and 38 upload second test with just 2 essentials connected. 

Speeds will vary from test to test - not just due to your own usage, but also depending on how much bandwidth your neighbors are using.  Also, sometimes the speedtest servers get congested, and that of course will also affect the results.

Upload speed is what matters, since all video is sent up from the cameras.  Camera control commands go through the downlink, as do firmware updates.  Also your voice is sent on the downlink when you use two-way talk from your phone.  Your uplink speed appears to be pretty consistent, which is good.

1080p cameras require 1 mbps of bandwidth when they are streaming video, the 2K cameras require 2 mbps of bandwidth.  So your mix of cameras would require 12 mbps of uplink when all 8 cameras are streaming at the same time (which they aren't).  That's only 1/3 of your measured uplink speed of 37-38 mbps.

So this does not appear to be internet congestion.  Try irunning the ookla speedtest app on your phone when you are at the camera location.  Turn off mobile data when doing this, just to be certain you are measuring the wifi speed.  That will let you know if the wifi connection between the camera and the router is the problem.