Essential XL won’t connect after power outages

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Viking224
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a remote cabin that has power and internet almost all the time. However, power goes out from time to time. 4 out of 5 times the power goes out, the Arlo essential XL cameras do not reconnect. We use them to monitor the place and for security and this is highly disadvantageous. I can monitor the internet remotely and determine what devices are connected and their data usage. Confusingly,  all of the devices reconnect after the outages, even the Arlo devices but the Arlo devices show as disconnected in the Arlo app. They also show high data rate usage even though I cannot see them in the Arlo app. Any thoughts? I’m about a minute away from requesting a refund.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd suggest a UPS for your network (modem and router) to keep it up during a power outage.

Viking224
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s on a ups. We’re having work done on the cabin and the contractors unplug it to use the outlet. Sometimes the plug it back in. Sometimes a friend has to go plug it in. Most of the time the cameras do not reconnect. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the UPS is supplying power for the whole time the UPS is unplugged, I don't see how the cameras get disconnected. The internet connection remains so the cameras maintain the connection to the servers. Of course, the cameras should reconnect after an outage anyways.

Have you contacted official support about this? Use the app to go to Settings, Support and choose your cameras. Scroll down to Contacts to see what they say.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

If the UPS is supplying power for the whole time the UPS is unplugged, I don't see how the cameras get disconnected.

Of course it might not have enough capacity to do that.

Viking224
Aspirant
Aspirant

I usually don't know if the UPS has been unplugged for a day or two. 

The cameras should reconnect.