Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JamminJ14
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased Arlo Essential XL w/ Spotlight. After my trial period ended, my recordings were not showing up in my library. That's when I learned a subscription was needed. My question is, IS A SUBSCRIPTION NEEDED FOR ALL NEW ARLO CAMERA PURCHASES? The 2 cameras I was replacing, Arlo Pro, are now back in place because those videos are still sent to the library for 7 days, if I don't delete them before. Any help is appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, all new cameras require a subscription. This started with the Ultra cameras in 2018. Any older camera retains the free 7 day, 5 camera plan.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, all new cameras require a subscription. This started with the Ultra cameras in 2018. Any older camera retains the free 7 day, 5 camera plan.

JamminJ14
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat thanks for your response. that sucks & wasn't what I wanted to hear. I will begin to explore my options, even if it takes me elsewhere. Have a great day & enjoy your holidays. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If your cameras are connected to a base or hub you can set up local recordings in the base's settings instead of having a subscription. It's not the same thing as cloud recordings and, since you have an old base, you would have to eject the USB drive to view on a computer. Buying a new SmartHub, either the VMB4540 (my preference) or the VMB5000, allows you to use the app to see the recordings. You would have to download the video to even see the thumbnail but at least you have direct access to the videos. Whether that would satisfy your needs only you could decide.

https://kb.arlo.com/1146857/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-using-my-Arlo-Base-Station-or-Smar...

JamminJ14
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat thanks for that tidbit. I do an older base station but I just noticed I can insert a USB drive. I will be looking into this a little more and hopefully it'll solve my problem without me having to put out any more money. 🙂 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JamminJ14 wrote:

I do an older base station but I just noticed I can insert a USB drive.

Only the VMB4540 and VMB5000 smarthubs have the direct access to local recording feature.

VMB4000 and VMB4500 base stations support local recording, but not playback.  The only way to see those recordings is to eject the USB storage and connect it to a PC.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation