Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Essential Outdoor Camera 2nd Generation no longer detects motion or records. Battery drains in a day

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Nomanom4
Follower
Follower

I charged a few of my cameras last weekend after they ran out of battery. It wasn't until I put them back into their positions that I was surprised when they ran out of battery a day later, almost overnight.

I usually charge my cameras every 2 - 3 weeks, since installing them 2 months ago, and if anything we have had even less activity here than normal, so I found the sudden drop in battery life strange. 

Upon charging them again, the same thing happened with the batteries. When checking to ensure the motion sensitivity settings hadn't changed I noticed that they hadn't recorded anything for close to two weeks! 

After eventually finding a contact number I got in touch with a customer service representative who could only offer to create a ticket with engineering, who would then be in touch to advise on a solution. It was believed to be an issue with a software update. I do find it strange that one of my other cameras (same model) and my doorbell do not seem to suffer the same issue (yet).

No timeframe was given for a solution however they did believe it would be in 24-48 hours. A day later I have yet to hear from them. 

I've noticed in other posts that the customer service aspect with Arlo leaves a lot to be desired. Given how difficult it is to get to a contact number I would agree with this. While the operator did all they could over the phone, you can tell the company seems to go out of their way to not actually solve these issues. I would have expected a return and exchange or refund, no a "we'll get back to you".

This has been super disappointing after selecting this company as they seemed to be smaller and were the only one that I could find that wasn't tied to Amazon or the CCP. Maybe I should have just gone with Ring, Google or Eufy after all.

If no solution is advised by next week or a return/refund/exchange arranged I will be exploring options with the Australian regulator/ombudsman.

1 REPLY 1
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try fully charging the cameras, then remove and factory reset using the instructions here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062880/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera-Arlo-Secure-4-0

After the reset is complete, onboard the cameras again and test to see if you still experience the same behavior.

We've been closely monitoring other reports of unexpected battery drain as the support team has already indicated in your case. Please let me know the results and we'll escalate further if needed.

JamesC