Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Bmr143
Star
Star

Hello. 
I am currently looking to add the 4 pack Essential 2k cameras to my older Arlo Pro 2 system. Are these Essentials compatible to the base station? And, can I plug these in and leave them plugged in at all times outside? Will they record the three seconds prior when plugged in like my Pro 2 cameras do? Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bmr143 wrote:

I am currently looking to add the 4 pack Essential 2k cameras to my older Arlo Pro 2 system. Are these Essentials compatible to the base station?

They currently cannot be connected to any hub - Arlo says that will be supported "soon".  They haven't said which hubs will be supported.  Definitely not the VMB3xxx hubs.

But they can also connect directly to your home wifi, so the hub would only be needed if you want local storage.

Also, you will need a subscription for these cameras to get any cloud storage.  The Pro 2 cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording.  Arlo stopped offering that on new camera models back in 2018.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bmr143 wrote:

I am currently looking to add the 4 pack Essential 2k cameras to my older Arlo Pro 2 system. Are these Essentials compatible to the base station?

They currently cannot be connected to any hub - Arlo says that will be supported "soon".  They haven't said which hubs will be supported.  Definitely not the VMB3xxx hubs.

But they can also connect directly to your home wifi, so the hub would only be needed if you want local storage.

Also, you will need a subscription for these cameras to get any cloud storage.  The Pro 2 cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording.  Arlo stopped offering that on new camera models back in 2018.