Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time (2 days after I renewed my subscription) was last week. Today, it happened again. The first time it happened, I trouble shot it but doing a restart, then a remove and factory reset. That helped for about 4 days. When I tried the same thing this time, it didn't work. I get some notifications about movement, but no new recordings show. I re-upped my subscription on August 12, 2024. Today is August 19, 2024. Arlo Essential Outdoor 2nd Gen 

18 REPLIES 18
Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are not the only one.

Same thing started happening to me 3 days ago: the camera detects motion and notifies me, but nothing gets added to the Feed (neither the event of detection nor any recording).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Check the active mode for your cameras and make sure there are rules within that mode to not only detect and notify but to record or motion.

Are you still experiencing the same issue?

JamesC

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Weirdly, it began recording again this morning after just leaving in alone. I honestly don't know what the issue is. I have left everything alone after the factory reset. 

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have just spent an hour on chat with Arlo support. After removing the cameras from the app and reinstalling them, the recording worked for 10 minutes and then stopped again. I noticed that when the motion detection icon on the app turns orange, the cameras can no longer be turned on to film through the app - as if the cameras or the app have crashed.  The cameras are however still detecting motion and notifying me, but not sending the videos. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine started working over night the night before last. Today I checked my feed at 130pm and it hasn't captured anything since. Not even motion at this point. I have also noticed that when this happens, the battery starts draining. 

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, we also noticed that when this happens our camera battery drains within 2 to 3 days. Until last week the battery lasted for months. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly the same. Every once in a while I see the blue LED light up, but no notification or recording. Its currently set to arm away, and I checked that it should record when motion is detected. I am wondering if Arlo's servers just cant handle the influx of people demanding recordings. I think I will trash this and look into eufy. Its recorded on an sd card with no subscription fees. A more expensive camera, but not when you figure in the subscription fees. My sister has one and is happy with them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Based on the descriptions of what you're seeing, it's possible the camera is having a connectivity issue. To isolate the issue further, try moving the camera close to your router as a test and see if it continues to experience the same behavior.

JamesC

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will try that. My only concern is that it's in the exact same place its been since I put it up over a month ago, and when checking the connection to the wifi, it says it has a strong connection. The first 33 days I had no issue. It wasn't until I paid for the subscription did I begin having any issues. That seems very suspicious, in my opinion. 

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

The connectivity seems fine. The cameras are very close to the router. We get the movement notifications, just no video. Also the camera seems to keep the motion detection running for around 30 minutes after each motion. This drains the battery. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ugh! While this issue has happened, someone stole stuff from my porch! I am done. This was the whole reason I bought this camera. VERY DISSATISFIED in the whole paid subscription of this brand.

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo support have just let me know that this is now a known issue as there have been multiple reports. It is being worked on. There was a firmware update last Friday (same day that our issues started) which sounds like it is the source of the issue. Hopefully there will be a fix shortly, or the previous firmware will be rolled back. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I attempted the firmware update, and it said it was already updated. I got it to work again for a couple days, but it stopped again. I noticed that the microphone just continues to listen without taking video, thus draining the battery. It seems I have to factory reset it wvery couple of days, and that still is not a guarantee that it will work.

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

On our side we charged the cameras to 100%, deleted them from the app and installed them again. They have been working properly now since Sunday. It looks like the firmware has been fixed. No more battery issues and videos are being recorded. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did what you said you did. I removed my camera from the app, and charged for 10+ hours when it was at 51%. Now it won't connect via bluetooth. And now it still seems to be picking up sound.

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, its not picking up sound. Its just slowly blinking blue. I tried to do a reset by pressing down and holding down the sync button, but it just keeps slow blinking blue. It will not go to do a reset. 

Bonloup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Blinking blue sounds like it’s looking for a bluetooth connection to connect to the app. If the camera is not finding the app at all, probably best at this point to contact support via the chat function. 
For information I am not convinced that the firmware update issue is completely fixed. Our cameras worked again for four days and then stopped (ie we got movement detection notifications but no video). I removed the cameras from the app again and reinstalled them and they now work again. 

ChellyWest
Aspirant
Aspirant

After slow blinking all day, the blinking stopped. I assumed that meant the battery finally died. So I thought this might be a good thing so it could reset itself. I plugged it in, and nothing. No indication thar it was charging at all. Perhaps its a battery issue. 

But as I type this, the slow blue blink came back. Ugh!

The connection shouldn't be an issue, but I will restart my router just to verify that's not the problem. Because where it sits, it has had a strong connection. There is 1 wall and about 15 feet between it and the router.