Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why can't I disable the Arlo Indoor Camera privacy shield ? (VMC2040)

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
linxeye
Star
Star

So I got myself a new Arlo Indoor Camera. I assigned to the camera the GeoFencing mode as I did in the past with Arlo Q. However when doing so it turns the privacy shield on when home and I can't change that. Why can't I have full control on the privacy shield and choose to always have it off so the lens is always watching what it has to watch when being home or away ?

16 REPLIES 16
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

linxeye,

If your Home geofencing setting is set to "Disarmed", this is expected behavior. The privacy shield will engage when the camera is disarmed. For more information, take a look here:

How do I use the privacy shield on my Arlo Essential Indoor Camera?

If you do not ever want the privacy shield enabled, simply set your camera to "Armed" and do not use geofencing.

JamesC

linxeye
Star
Star

Yes but I want to use GeoFencing and have it disarmed. Why on earth is that not possible? 🙂 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@linxeye wrote:

Yes but I want to use GeoFencing and have it disarmed. Why on earth is that not possible? 🙂 

Why do you care?  The shield will automatically retract when you are away.

The idea is that the privacy shield lets you know when the camera is off/not able to record.  

linxeye
Star
Star

I want full control over the privacy shield. If the privacy shield fails to open (software bug, mechanical failure over time, etc) the camera will be useless...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@linxeye wrote:

I want full control over the privacy shield. If the privacy shield fails to open (software bug, mechanical failure over time, etc) the camera will be useless...

Well, you can put this into the idea exchange.  But I doubt Arlo will take action unless a lot of other folks agree.  After all, it's just one of many possible failure modes.

FWIW, it's easy to check that the camera is working.  Just live-stream the camera from time to time.

linxeye
Star
Star

Well I think this candid yet recent topic proves I'm on to something : https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Camera-Series/Shield-not-working-with-modes/m-p/1816209... 🙂

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@linxeye wrote:

Well I think this candid yet recent topic proves I'm on to something : https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Camera-Series/Shield-not-working-with-modes/m-p/1816209... 🙂

As I said, it's easy to test.  If live streaming works, then the privacy shield is working correctly. 

linxeye
Star
Star

I mean yes. Easy to test. But the one day you'll need it, you won't test it. That's want I wish an option to disable this half baked feature.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried a CUSTOM mode for your Home setting?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
linxeye
Star
Star

Unless I missed something, the custom mode doesn't allow for Geofencing !

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@linxeye wrote:

Unless I missed something, the custom mode doesn't allow for Geofencing !

You missed something.

You use the custom mode instead of disarmed in the "home" configuration for geofencing.

linxeye
Star
Star

I'm afraid it's more complex than that. Yes I can indeed create a custom mode for when I'm away and tie it to GeoFencing. But I also need to create a second one when home. And when doing so I'm forced to choose between camera detecting sound or movements. I can't have it just in standby. The whole point for me is to have the privacy shield open when home with geofencing enabled. Can you provide some guidance?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not really understanding what you want to do....

You want the Privacy shield open but the camera not recording ???

linxeye
Star
Star

YES. To prevent and avoid any malfunctioning of the routine involved with managing the shield 🙂

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That may not be possible....but a work around does work

I created a custom mode with audio as the trigger(motion would work too),  but in the options to select record/snapshot/etc, I picked do Nothing and turned off alerts.

So, the Privacy shield stays open but the camera does not record...When your away, the armed mode has it also open for motion/record

OR

How about it’s older brother the Q camera ?  😀 has no shutter

linxeye
Star
Star

Yeah that's kind of extremely complex you'd agree ? 🙂 The Indoor Camera was to replace a faithful old Q. I was really expecting more control on the shield (where the camera sits I really couldn't care less about privacy shield). So we'll see.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation