Video storage WITHOUT SUBSCRIPTION ???

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
why_arlo_why
Follower
Follower

Sorry, I'm sure this question has been asked many times but most of the answers are multiple years old and probably out of date.

Is there a way, with currently available equipment (Fall, 2022) to store video without a subscription?

I have a basic doorbell and indoor camera ("Essential" VMC2030), no built-in storage ability. I have read that certain Hubs/Smart Hubs/Base Stations have the ability to record to USB, but nothing that I can find for sale lists that ability. So maybe Arlo stopped providing that option, so they can "encourage" subscriptions? 

I have read about units with a USB port (or card port) for storage but apparently you have to disconnect those and plug them into a computer to access the video. Incredibly stupid.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@why_arlo_why wrote:

I have a basic doorbell and indoor camera ("Essential" VMC2030), no built-in storage ability. I have read that certain Hubs/Smart Hubs/Base Stations have the ability to record to USB, but nothing that I can find for sale lists that ability.

The VMB4540 and VMB5000 support direct access to local storage. The VMB4540 uses USB storage; the VMB5000 uses microSD.

There are limitations:

• recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • recordings are only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails (recordings need to be downloaded to be viewed)
  • remote access required router setting changes that some find difficult (and which don't work with some ISPs)

Note that activity zones are also a subscription feature.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation