Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BIGsister181
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the arlo essential with privacy shield August 12, 2023 and I cannot select to record video or audio. It has "do nothing" lit up green. Why won't it record anything?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BIGsister181 wrote:

I just purchased the arlo essential with privacy shield August 12, 2023 and I cannot select to record video or audio. It has "do nothing" lit up green. Why won't it record anything?

Did the trial subscription expire?

BIGsister181
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't realize there was a trial subscription.  So it won't record without that then? 

How unfair. To purchase the products &  be forced to also purchase subscriptions.  

That's ridiculous!! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BIGsister181 wrote:

I didn't realize there was a trial subscription.  So it won't record without that then? 

Cloud storage for recordings requires a subscription.

@BIGsister181 wrote:

How unfair. To purchase the products &  be forced to also purchase subscriptions.  

Well, the cloud storage costs Arlo something to provide, and the cameras can last for a very long time.  If you get your storage for free, then your storage cost has to be covered by new camera sales (or subscription sales) to other customers. 

I personally think it is fair to require people to pay something for their own cloud storage.  It's really no different from paying for your phone and also paying a monthly charge for service. Though obviously many here will have a different viewpoint (and of course we all do like "free").

FWIW, the box does include a statement about the need for a subscription, though it often isn't as prominent as I would like.   Something like "Arlo Secure service, including cloud recording, requires a paid subscription after the trial period".

BIGsister181
Aspirant
Aspirant

I suppose it did. I didn't know it was a trial. As i am able to record on all my other cameras. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BIGsister181 wrote:

i am able to record on all my other cameras. 

Legacy Arlo cameras (pro, pro 2, some others) were sold with 7-day cloud recording included.  They still have that feature.

Arlo stopped including that with new camera models about 5 years ago (starting with the Ultra).  All currently sold models need a subscription for cloud storage.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation