Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Grant access not working - No devices found (model VMC2040)

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
rheoled
Tutor
Tutor
TL;DR: No devices show up for friends granted access. Please help.

Super frustrated, in hour 4 of trying to get grant access to work. Here's the basic unworking process:

1. Log in to my primary Arlo account (call it "Acct1" using email "Email1") via iPhone Arlo Secure app ("App"). Acct1 shows 2 devices.
  2. Send grant access request from Acct1 via the App to friend at email "Email2", making sure to enable access checkmarks for both devices as well as admin control.
  3. From web browser on laptop, friend follows invitation link from Email2 on laptop browser, successfully registering new Arlo account "Acct2" under email address Email2.
  4. App under account Acct1 shows invited friend with email Email2 as "Accepted", again with both devices enabled for access.
  5. Person with email Email2 then logs into App successfully under Acct2 (Email2), but there's the problem: no devices show up as expected.
The email invitation & registration process seems to work most of the time. But no devices have ever shown up on Acct2 in App, and that's the problem. We have tried:
  • Updating App to latest version.
  • Making sure we only confirm Email2 invite from web browser, not App.
  • Deleting friend invite in App Acct1 and retrying.
  • Killing the App and retrying.
  • Deleting App, reinstalling, and retrying.
  • Tried different laptop web browswers.
  • Tried different email accounts for Email2.
Google searches show this is fairly common for at least several years.
Does anyone know of another solution to try? Can Arlo folks look at anything on the backend?
The cameras are worthless to us without this access.
7 REPLIES 7
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information.

JamesC

JWL_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue. 3 VMC2030 cameras. None of them show up in the account to whom I provided access. Apps are all up to date. Cameras are up to date.

rheoled
Tutor
Tutor

I still haven’t found success resolving this, but fwiw, here’s the feedback I’ve received from Arlo support guy JamesC in private comms:

The issue you're experiencing is due to a phased rollout of new app versions. Because the user you're sharing with has created a new account recently, they have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app installed (4.0). This app update is slowly rolling out to all existing users over the next few days. Once your primary account has updated to app 4.0, you will then be able to share your devices. We expect all users to have the 4.0 app available by this coming Tuesday, 12/06.

If you already have 4.0, we need to force your account to migrate to the new UI experience. To do this, you will need to tap "Add new device", select "Arlo Home Security System" and you should be prompted to migrate to the new UI. After you receive verification that you've successfully migrated your account, you can then leave the Arlo Home Security System onboarding flow and then you should be able to share devices with the friend account.

rheoled
Tutor
Tutor

Please post what you did if you find success.

JWL_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you @rheoled! What you shared worked for me. First, I started by deleting the guest user account, removing the app from the guest phone, and removing the guest user from the primary account. Then I forced the upgrade to the new 4.0 version of the app on the primary account's phone number (I was on the previous version) by pretending to "Add device," specifically a security system. [Once I was upgraded, I backed out of the remainder of the workflow to add a security system.] I then readded the guest user and recreated the guest account. I double-checked on the primary account and verified that the guest had "accepted" the invite. The last piece that was critical for me was that in the process of creating the guest account on Arlo, I was forced to create a location. I coincidentally named the location using the same name (in my case, "home") that I used in the primary account. This made it difficult for me to realize that there were two locations with the same name. To get my devices to show in the guest account..., I selected the other location (the other "Home", the one that the primary account had shared, and there were all of my devices. I haven't been able to delete the guest account's "home," so until I figure that part out, I renamed that "home" to "not this one" so I can easily tell them apart. The other way to tell them apart was one "home" was "shared" and the other one wasn't. I hope this helps. Thanks again for the assist.

MemeBaba
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since the newer Arlo App (4.0) was released. All my secondary accounts cannot see any shared devices in the App. I also migrated over to the "New User Experience" following their instructions, but still don't work. It does work through the older version of the App (3.8) though. However, I am unable to downgrade the App on some of my devices.

Shortly after troubleshooting with the above, all of my 6 camera's motion detection stopped working completely. Went through support for hours of troubleshooting but still nothing.

Is there anyone else experiencing the same?

MemeBaba
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I end up figuring out how to get motion detection working again. I think it's because I've migrated to the "New User Experience", I had to go to the new App, and then to Routines, then manually configure every camera to "Record" video on Motion Detection.

I am still unable to view my devices on the new App for secondary accounts.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation