• 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello.

Thanks for your help. 

I've had an Arlo Q connected to my mom's Xfinity network for a couple years.

Trying to add an Arlo Essential Indoor Camera.

I believe Xfinity has 2.4 and 5.0 networks combined. 

When scanning the QR code, the new Arlo doesn't chime and instead closes its lens cover.

If I go to the next step anyway, the camera scans, fails to detect the network and then tells me to connect to a 2.4 network.

I don't remember it being this difficult when I set up the Arlo Q.

Thanks for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try using a PC browser (my.arlo.com) instead of the app - that sometimes works when the app fails.

You could also go into the infinity router settings, and temporarily disable the 5 gHz network.

timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks StephenB.

Same result with browser.

Was hoping mucking about with the router was above my pay grade.

(Shouldn’t this be easier? Would including 5ghz capability be so prohibitive? Doesn’t something with only 2.4ghz capability seem dated?)
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timberweasel wrote:

(Shouldn’t this be easier?

I agree it should be easier. FWIW, I think the onboarding issue arises when the camera is on the 2.4 ghz network and the phone (or PC) is on the 5 ghz network.  

timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant
With the help of Xfinity Support, I was able to separate and provide separate names to my 2.4 and 5 GHz networks using the Xfinity mobile app. I was then able to set up the Essential Indoor Camera using the 2.4 network . However I was unable to set up my existing Arlo Q on the 2.4 network but I was successful setting it up on the 5 network.

So it seems the Essential Indoor camera must run on a 2.4 ghz network while the Arlo Q must run on a 5 ghz network. Is this true? (Is this fun?)
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timberweasel wrote:

So it seems the Essential Indoor camera must run on a 2.4 ghz network while the Arlo Q must run on a 5 ghz network. Is this true? 

The Q is spec'd as being dual band.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/Arlo_Q_Datasheet.pdf

Assuming good signal strength in both bands at the Q's location, it likely is connected at 5 ghz. 

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation