Cannot connect app to Arlo base station

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
fcrombeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased a home in Arizona and the previous owner left all the Arlo gear behind. I have a VMB4540 base station and 3 outdoor cameras as well as one indoor. 

I created an Arlo account and downloaded the app. I’ve connected the base station to my router (latest Cox panoramic WIFI) and then powered up. Ive tried linking the base station to the app several times with no success. At this point I have no idea what to do.  Arlo doesn’t seem to have a number to call to have someone assist. No sure where to go from here. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If the previous owner used the arlo app to close his account then it should have auto removed the equipment. If he contacted arlo support to close it it is possible for the account to still have the equipment locked.

An after thought is that the base station will need to be factory reset anyway so you could try that process if not already, use a paper clip to operate the reset button on the rear of the base station, hold for at least 15 seconds or until it starts flashing Amber.

Arlo support services require a paid subscription to contact them outside of warranty. Direct phone access is by using the mobile app to get a number to call but only if you’re able to add a device to your account.

Very easy is arlo’s thinking I imagine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If the previous owner has not removed the arlo equipment for their account then the equipment would not be able to be imported to another account.

While you have the equipment plugged in it is possible for the previous owner to access the equipment and view your location.

Suggest you unplug the base and remove batteries from cameras for privacy.

Contact the previous owner to ensure he has removed the equipment from their account before trying to add them again.

fcrombeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been emailing back and forth with the previous owner and before he moved out he cancelled his Arlo account. However, he did not remove the equipment before doing so. He's now reaching back out through customer support to see if he can have the equipment removed.

The equipment is all unplugged and not functional at the moment. Irrespective of that, I've gotten to know the previous owners quite well and I'm confident that he wouldn't try and spy on us. 

So I'm waiting to hear back from him. I don't know what else this could be. BTW I had the same problem with the Trane thermostats in the house. I had to call customer support and have them removed from the previous owner's account before I could add them to mine, which they did easily.

On the topic of technical support, does anyone know how to get it from Arlo? From what I've learned it's not easy.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If the previous owner used the arlo app to close his account then it should have auto removed the equipment. If he contacted arlo support to close it it is possible for the account to still have the equipment locked.

An after thought is that the base station will need to be factory reset anyway so you could try that process if not already, use a paper clip to operate the reset button on the rear of the base station, hold for at least 15 seconds or until it starts flashing Amber.

Arlo support services require a paid subscription to contact them outside of warranty. Direct phone access is by using the mobile app to get a number to call but only if you’re able to add a device to your account.

Very easy is arlo’s thinking I imagine.

fcrombeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. The next time I'm in town (about a month from now) I'll try the factory reset.  Failing that I think I'm SOL, but the equipment was left behind free of charge so no hard done really.  If this thread is still open I'll come back and update with the results.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation