Arlo Essential Indoor Camera won’t connect to network - Don’t Buy

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dupmanyu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been using Arlo cameras outside for over two years and never had an issue connecting to Wi-Fi.  Decided to try the indoor camera and that was a waste of time, troubleshoot tech insisted that I had to ensure that I was connecting to a 2.4GHZ network, unfortunately I have a dual band that does not distinguish between the two.  Seems to be very old technology as dual band has been around for some time.  Decided it was too much hassle and will be returning the camera.  Looks like some of the doorbells are the same way, Arlo should just be honest about and say requires a 2.4GHX network.

3 REPLIES 3
Dannybear
Master
Master

You mentioned that you have other arlo cameras, are they working still, using a Base station, can you import the indoor camera to the base instead since it uses its own 2.4ghz wifi?

If your wifi router is dual band will it not have the 2.4ghz operating as well as the 5ghz wifi?

dupmanyu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately I don't have a base station that I could pair the camera with.  I do have two outdoor cameras and they connected just fine when I set them up and are working just fine now.  I have two systems for two different properties and don't recall identifying the 2.4Ghz network ever being an issue for the other Arlo cameras or any other device for that matter.  I did call tech support and they started going down the path of needing to delete my network from my phone and then add it again...that was when I said this is too much and it has to go back.  These devices should just be plug and play.

Dannybear
Master
Master

One of the requirements for installation is for the app to have access to the same local network the camera is connecting to. This is why using the online app with a pc browser to my.arlo.com works better than the mobile app.

While plug and play is convenient it does increase the security risk to your network from abroad.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation