Essential 2nd gen won't automatically reconnect after service outage

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lonk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 4 Arlo cameras, one of which is an Essential 2nd Gen.  In addition, I have a Google Nest camera. 

My original home ISP is CenturyLink DSL and when it experiences an outage, the Arlo Essential 2nd Gen will not automatically reconnect. The 3 older Arlo cameras (connected to a hub) and the Google Nest camera automatically reconnect after an outage.

After years of frustration with CenturyLink's frequent outages, I added StarLink.  Arlo Essential 2nd Gen automatically reconnects to StarLink (Yay StarLink!).  So problem solved at my house.  I'm going to drop CenturyLink. 

However, I purchased 3 Essential 2nd Gen XL cameras for use at a work location, with COX cable as the ISP.  Now I'm seeing that when the Essential 2nd gen cameras drop from an outage, they don't automatically reconnect to COX internet.  I must reconnect on site.  I travel frequently and need to have cameras that reconnect automatically as can be 2000 miles away and can't just pop over and manually reconnect.  My travel requirements are why I have cameras to begin with. 

Has anyone experienced anything similar?  If so, have you found a solution?

2 REPLIES 2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lonk

This behavior may vary some depending on the length of the ISP outage. How long did the Cox outage last? Have you seen this behavior occur even during short outages?

JamesC

lonk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply James.  It seems to be caused by any length outage.  Had a 2 minute outage and the Arlo cameras did not reconnect so I manually connected them.  Had a 28 minute outage yesterday afternoon.  This time I decided to wait it out and didn't manually reconnect.  They reconnected on their own, one by one, but it took from 3 to 7 hours for them to reconnect.  I have a Google Nest camera on the same router and it came back up immediately when service was restored.  

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation