Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Should I buy the Arlo Baby?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
justinml
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am a new expecting parent and I am interested in the Arlo Baby, but I have read many reviews with lots of issues, which is expected for a new product.  I wanted to ask the community to help provide some feedback and list all the outstanding issues on the Arlo Baby as of today on because I know Netgear released a firmware update and fixed many issues.  So, I just wanted to know if I purchased a Arlo Baby and fully updated the firmware and the Mobile App to the latest, what kind of issues should I expect to still experience?  And what outstanding issues Netgear is able to fix and not able to fix that you are experiencing?  I really want to know if the Arlo Baby is safe, secured and reliable to use as a 24/7 Baby Monitor.  I think this will be my deciding factor.  

Thank you all in advance!

-J

7 REPLIES 7
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I have had mine installed for some time and since the latest firmware update I have had no problems at all.

Just make sure that the wifi signal in the location you wish to install the camera is of decent strength.

Do a speedtest in that location using your phone and see what kind of signal you are getting.

Lastly, buy form a reputable supplier with a good return policy in case you are not happy with the results.

Oh and congratulations on the pending new arrival.

Lastog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also an expecting parent and looking around for the right baby monitor for me. What is the ideal latency on your device for the monitor to have issues?.   

justinml
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great, thanks for your feedback!  how many seconds is the lag for you have a good signal?  What are the top 3 things you do not like about the arlo baby or wish it can be improved? 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Lag is about 3 to 4 seconds with a strong signal.

There will soon be a portable monitor coming out.

The Arlo Baby 7” Touchscreen Display, shipping in Summer of 2017, will be available for purchase as an add-on to your existing Arlo Baby camera for $99.99, or in a set with the Arlo Baby camera for $329.99.

In its Direct Connect mode, the display will allow for live streaming of video from the Arlo Baby camera without the need for an Internet connection. Cloud features such as remote live streaming and Library access will not be available from the tablet in Direct Connect mode. The display can also connect to the cloud via WiFi, just like a regular smart tablet. When connected to WiFi, the tablet will have all the cloud features as you would expect from the Arlo mobile app, and allow you to access all devices on your Arlo account.

justinml
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the information, but do you work for Netgear/Arlo?  

Streak2
Master Master
Master

No I don't work for Netgear.

I have used and own a lot of their products, been involved in beta programs and help out on the forums when I can.

justinml
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see great, thanks for your feedback!  If there are any others, please post your experiences with the Arlo baby after the latest firmware update. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation