Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Range of Direct Connect

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jdepew
Tutor
Tutor

What is the range of the Direct Connect Mode for the Arlo Baby Camera Display?

Will other Arlo camera (Beside Arlo Baby) feeds be accessible through the Display via Direct Connect (i.e. funneled through the Direct Connect capable and wifi connected Baby Cameras?

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jdepew wrote:

What is the range of the Direct Connect Mode for the Arlo Baby Camera Display?

Will other Arlo camera (Beside Arlo Baby) feeds be accessible through the Display via Direct Connect (i.e. funneled through the Direct Connect capable and wifi connected Baby Cameras?

I would assume the direct connect range is based on your WIFI range as that's how the system works ( direct feed to units on the same wifi network )

Not to my knowledge at this time , tho a good question.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jdepew
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry to be clear, the point of the Direct Connect mode is that the tablet can be used like a traditional video camera baby monitor which does not rely on wifi, hence the range has no relation to wifi.

From the Product Page

The Arlo Baby Display is designed for an uninterrupted baby monitoring experience, so you can use your smartphone for other tasks. With this large 7" touchscreen display, the Arlo Baby camera can also be used offline, without the need for an internet connection, just like a traditional baby monitor. Take the Arlo Baby camera and display anywhere you want and still enjoy many of the available smart features even when a WiFi connection is not available.

... and from a post here on the forums by JamesC and ChristineT

In its Direct Connect mode, the display will allow for live streaming of video from the Arlo Baby camera without the need for an Internet connection. Cloud features such as remote live streaming and Library access will not be available from the tablet in Direct Connect mode. The display can also connect to the cloud via WiFi, just like a regular smart tablet. When connected to WiFi, the tablet will have all the cloud features as you would expect from the Arlo mobile app, and allow you to access all devices on your Arlo account.

Any info from a Netgear Moderator would be great!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is an unreleased product at this time so not sure how much more info would be released at this time...

But, it will ( educated guess ) either create it own sort of wifi or work similar to bluettooth from its base unit to camera. It;s going to be wireless and wireless would limit range just due to frequencies allowed and transmitter power by regulations

Or it could be celluar based, but prob not

PS... not understanding on my part... Was thinking the Baby video feed to the receiving units on the same wifi as opposed to going to cloud and back delay

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

jdepew
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks JamesC,

Most baby monitors use some form of 2.4Ghz FHSS much like portable home phones (Remember those?). Typical range is 800- 1000 ft. I want to make sure this is competitive with those dedicated systems at this price point - 1000ft for those.

Thanks!
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation