Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Tomdotchoi
Follower
Follower

I purchased an arlo pro system with 4 cameras and was very happy with the products, so I decided to purchase the Arlo baby for my infant child on Oct 12, 2017 from amazon.  The camera had issues in the beginning and I thought it was typical firmware issues and needed updates.  After updating the firmware and all devices connecting to the Arlo Baby, windows/ios devices/android devices I noticed things went smoothly for a day or two.   I mounted monitor up high and thought I never had to deal with this crap again, thinking oh its a baby monitor, its rock solid and I don't have to worry because netgear is a reputable brand who has good software rather than with an alternative unknown brand.  After another night of trying to use the fn cam, "getting status...." never went away.  I checked the wifi signal strength in the room up high and it was fine but decided to add an access point specifically to resolve this issue.   I then noticed the baby monitors backlight was stuck on and the camera was basically frozen.   I disconnected the power cable and waited a day for the camera discharge its power.  I started the basic tech support call today 4/18/18 from work and will follow through.  I wanted to document everything so far so other won't have to deal with this issues.  

My thought so far,

Netgear quietly released another version of arlo baby, if look on amazon there are two versions already being sold

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RD1KSN/ref=psdc_7459508011_t3_B0756MFCKK - old

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Monitor-Sensors-Lullaby-HomeKit/dp/B0756MFCKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=... - new

My theory 

Original and new both were both advertised to handle 1080p, but I could never really get the 1080p to work on the original arlo baby without crashing.  I set it up to 720p and it worked smoother and connected faster.  I think the hardware inside either the wifi chip, or logic board can not handle the amount of data without crashing after a day or two.   I will keep this updated and keep this thread going until it is resolved.  As of now I have a yi 1080p dome camera that works flawlessly that was less then 1/2 the price of the arlo baby

this is my current resolution, to not use the arlo baby camera

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Haven't heard of a newer model even tho it says it is... only diff I see is one is handled/sold by a third party seller...

tho even with the Arlo cams, there are hardware updates in the production line

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tomdotchoi,

The changes to the new Arlo Baby you're referring to are purely cosmetic (gray ears instead of green), no hardware changes. I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on the issue you are experiencing.

JamesC

Jclarknz
Tutor
Tutor
Hi, are you sure that there is no hardware differences (other than cosmetic) between the Green Ear and Grey Ear versions? Can you update the firmware on the green ear version to match the grey ear version?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jclarknz,

Firmware updates take place automatically. There is no different between the two other than ear color, hardware/firmware is the same regardless of which kit you own/purchase.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation