Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another new issue.  We fix one thing and break another.  Life with Arlo Baby.

So after having background audio streaming thankfully restored, I've noticed a new issue.  When I stream audio in the background for some indeterminate period of time, if I open the Arlo app to check the video feed (let's say in response to hearing something over the audio feed), the iOS app appears to load a second audio stream to go along with the video stream.  This results in the old background audio stream playing along with the new audio/video stream which all sounds like two versions of the audio playing slightly out of sync.

If I stop the video/audio feed, I will still hear background audio from the original background audio stream.  If I force close the app (multitasking pane, swipe up), this closes app, but the original background audio feed continues for a few moments.  It is very hard to know when this error occurs.  If I load the background audio and go back into the Arlo app after only a short period of time (while using the phone without having ever locked the device), no new audio stream will load, so the sound will remain clear and in-sync.

This never happened prior to the 2.6.1 fix of the 2.6 debacle.  I'm so tired of the remarkably terrible software design of this app with the Arlo Baby.  I've said it so many times, I feel like my throat is sore. This feels like we're testing the Alpha build of the software...

I can't imagine that I'm the only one experiencing this issue, but please let me know if I'm alone.

Additional information:

iPhone X and iPad Air 2 (iOS 12.0.1)

Arlo Baby Firmware 1.8.6.2_22781

29 REPLIES 29
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Kellte2,

Apple has released a new OS. Have you tried to install the new IOS 12.1 and test again?

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS, I am running iOS 12.1 and the problem persists. For example, last night I ran the monitor all night using the background audio feature. When I woke up, I checked the Arlo feed and it loaded a second audio stream along with video. If I stop this stream, I can still hear the original stream that I started the night before, but I have no way of accessing video or stopping the audio without either loading the stream again through the app (which will result in a this duplicate audio stream) or force close the app, which will close the background audio stream.

I don’t know how long it takes the background stream to be running to cause this error, as it does not happen immediately and the app works as intended, at least for the first few minutes. However, after running the app for 10 minutes, the error occurred this morning and I had to force close the app to stop the duplicate audio stream. 

It is good to have background audio back, but this bug is annoying all the same.

chiefmongo
Guide
Guide

I am having the same issue.  It is super frustrating... one huge bug (the audio not working) followed by another.  I’m further convinced Netgear doesn’t employ a QA department.

I basically have to force quit the app every time I go to view the video stream after having the background audio open for 10-20 minutes.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chiefmongo wrote:

I am having the same issue.  It is super frustrating... one huge bug (the audio not working) followed by another.  I’m further convinced Netgear doesn’t employ a QA department.

I basically have to force quit the app every time I go to view the video stream after having the background audio open for 10-20 minutes.

I'm glad that I'm not alone.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

- Kellte2,

Are you in the field trial program for the Arlo Baby? have you provided this information to the field trial program? 

- chiefmongo

What firmware is your Arlo Baby running?

chiefmongo
Guide
Guide

Shayne,

My device is running firmware 1.8.5.3_21226.  Hardware is #6.  When I clicked the firmware, it says no updates are available.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS wrote:

- Kellte2,

Are you in the field trial program for the Arlo Baby? have you provided this information to the field trial program? 

I appear to have the field test firmware on my device, but I am not currently enrolled in any field trial program.  If this bug does not exist in the standard firmware, then I want off this firmware and to be rolled back to the public release.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chiefmongo wrote:

Shayne,

My device is running firmware 1.8.5.3_21226.  Hardware is #6.  When I clicked the firmware, it says no updates are available.

I guess this bug is not exclusive to the field test firmware, in which case, no change is necessary for my field test firmware status.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Kellte2,

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm working with the engineering team on this issue.  They believe it is an issue with the software.  Will post back once I have more information concerning a fix.

chiefmongo
Guide
Guide

I had my hopes, but the latest update doesn’t appear to fix this issue.  Is there an ETA when it’ll be fixed? This bug makes it a huge pain to use the iOS app with the duplicated streams always starting up.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

You are correct; 2.7 did not address this issue.  I'm still working with the engineering team on this problem and sent them a video of the issue, as they were allegedly unaware of this problem. 

Just last night, they asked if the problem had been fixed with the iOS app update.  I'm not sure why they were unaware of whether the app update fixed the problem, but I can't say that I'm terribly surprised.  Everyone has been very pleasant to work with, but there is this sense that they don't have an accurate understanding as to just how unstable this device has been.  Very bewildering/disappointing, but I'll be back once I have received some kind of update from engineering.

shoplifter
Guide
Guide
Are there any updates on this? The issue still occurs on my end with the latest public version of the app, iOS update and Arlo Baby firmware.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @shoplifter

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

shoplifter
Guide
Guide

I performed a factory reset on the unit only a few days ago for an unrelated reason. I have rebooted mobile devices and the Arlo unit as well, with the same end result. 

The issue is not confined to a single mobile device, we have two iOS devices on the latest update, with both devices getting duplicate audio (usually on a one secondish delay)

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@shoplifter

What OS is running on the IOS devices?

shoplifter
Guide
Guide

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@shoplifter

Have you tried to remove and reinstall the Arlo Mobile App?

shoplifter
Guide
Guide

I should have mentioned that. Yes, I have tried that as well.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. And I endured several calls with tech-support to solve the issue. However, there was never a resolution after all of the effort that I put in. This was totally unacceptable. Additionally, the problem still persists. Arlo’s technical support is abysmal. It is borderline insulting that you continue to post the question as to whether or not we have contacted technical support. We have contacted technical support, but no resolution has been offered. This was literally months ago.
chiefmongo
Guide
Guide

OP here, this issue is still very much a problem on any of our iOS devices (2 iPhones and an iPad).  The problem occurs when the app goes to the background and and is terminated by iOS (but somehow the background audio session is still going).  When that happens, the Arlo apps starts up another audio session even though the older one is already running.

This would be extremely easy to reproduce, but it appears that it isn’t a priority for Netgear to fix it and have instead focused most of their attention on the new Arlo products in their app updates (at least according to their patch notes... which I look at every time hoping they mention fixing this issue).

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Kellte2

For your case: 40563436 Did you inform the agent of your results and let them know the issue is not resolved? I see the agent had informed you of a new App update in the past, that should have assisted with the duplicate audio. The agent asked for your feedback regarding the issue so they can further assist you. I would suggest opening a new case with customer support and let them know your issue has returned.

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice
I provided multiple case updates through tech-support. However, I stop receiving responses to the updates that I had provided.

The problem was never corrected. Therefore, to say that the problem has returned is inaccurate. The problem first reared it’s head after “always listening” was restored following an update to the app that broke that functionality completely. Since that time, this duplicate background audio feed problem has persisted. I indicated this to level 2 support on several phone calls and messages, but no fix was proposed. Keep in mind, this was MONTHS ago. The fact that the problem still exists and is not being acknowledged by tech support as a known issue is shockingly unacceptable.
Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation