Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection problems

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
RichIss
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo baby sporadically will stop working and give error, "Unable to connect to media server, please try later" - really should be unacceptable for a baby monitor.

Please help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new firmware version 1.8.0.27_12874 was released last night (May 21) that should help with the connectivity issues. The firmware should have already been uploaded onto your camera. Have you had a chance to use the camera today? If yes, are you still seeing the issue?

JamesC

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ypy00
Tutor
Tutor

I got the similar issue. "Your device is not connected" it drops the connection couple times. Very unstable. The team should fix the issue asap. It's very important to keep the connection as a baby monitor.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Richlss, ypy00

It sounds like this could be due to poor connection. When you see this error message, what is the LED behavior on the camera? If your Arlo Baby’s LED blinks purple, your Arlo Baby is too far away from your router and is not receiving a good WiFi signal.

For more information and troubleshooting steps, take a look here: My Arlo Baby has a poor WiFi connection and the LED is blinking purple; what do I do?

JamesC

RichIss
Tutor
Tutor

Hi JamesC,

Last night I left my laptop on with Arlo streaming through the website. That stayed on all night, however when I stepped away and tried using my cell phone I had the same issue. Went into the nursery and Arlo Baby had a solid blue light. Stood right next to it and did a speed test from my cell using the  speedtest.net app, ping was 7ms upload 22mbs and download 24mbs. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Richlss,

I am glad to hear you did not have any issue with your laptop. What model/OS version cell phone are you using? is the error intermittent or do you always see this error?

Who is your ISP and what model router are you using? are you connecting using 2.4 or 5GHz?

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A new firmware version 1.8.0.27_12874 was released last night (May 21) that should help with the connectivity issues. The firmware should have already been uploaded onto your camera. Have you had a chance to use the camera today? If yes, are you still seeing the issue?

JamesC

RichIss
Tutor
Tutor

Hi JamesC,

I restarted my arlo baby through the app just now and it updated to the latest firmware. I did not have the version you mentioned before that. I will test it out tonight and hope that all works as its supposed to. 

thank you for your reply!

I apologize for not getting back to you, but my ISP is Verizon Fios, it uses the actiontec router (not sure about model). Was getting a ping of 8ms, download of 15mbs and uploads of 20mbs in my nursery. I put in an Asus AC1900 as an Access Point using ethernet wire. Now my up and download speed on the 5Ghz is about 50/50. That's what I was connected to last night when I lost connection. I will try again on the 5Ghz tonight. If that still fails I will try the 2.4Ghz the next night. 

Trial and error. I really like the camera and features - just need to find out how to make it work optimally for me. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Richlss,

Please let us know the results now that you have the firmware update installed.

JamesC

ypy00
Tutor
Tutor

I tried the updated version on my iPhone 7 last night. Didn't suffer the connection issue that I got earlier, but it stopped streaming couple times even the top left corner icon(for background streaming?) was turned on. Is it normal? I will keep testing and report the result. Thanks!

BTW, I got the connection issue when I was setting up the Arlo baby and trying to connect it with my Google wifi at the beginning. The camera was placed very close to one of the remote routers, so shouldn't be the bad signal. Not sure if you fix that issue on the latest version. It's important as the smooth installation steps will provide the best user experience(First impression). I was frustrating at the moment when I got that issue. Probably tried more than 5 times to get succeed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ypy00,

Thanks for the feedback. I am glad to hear that the firmware update helped the connection issues you were experiencing. We appreciate your testing and hope you will continue to provide feedback!

JamesC

RichIss
Tutor
Tutor

Good Morning, 

I have had 2 nights without any connection issues. The camera works as soon as I try to connect to it. I have had the same problem as Ypy00 - when I press the speaker button (top left) and turn off my screen the sound from the nursery works for a while then at some point during the night it stops. 

I've tried leaving the web-site open with a live stream coming in, after a few hours it logs me out. Not sure if that's the arlo web-site or a chrome thing. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Richlss,

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to hear the connectivity issues have been resolved. The engineering team is taking a look now at the Always Listening feature and the web client problem you've reported. I will provide you with an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation