Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo baby local network vs. bounce to cloud and back

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
gearysr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Generally, when I'm on the same network my arlo baby streams locally and there is a little "house" symbol in the lower left corner. We are staying with family and I've setup the arlo baby on the new network but local streaming doesn't seem to be working. There is a significant delay, and when streaming audio it comes in and out and is randomly stopping. We use the new kindle HD as our monitor.

I went through the instructions here:

https://kb.arlo.com/1284065/How-can-I-reduce-video-streaming-lag-or-delays-when-viewing-my-Arlo-Baby...

to verify that both the kindle and arlo are on the same network. Wifi signal strength on the Arlo is 100% on both devices and I also tried on my phone (Google Pixel) but it looks like local streaming isn't working there either...

Is there anything else I can do to trouble shoot this?

Last night, the audio flat out stopped at some poinit - we consider this a deal breaker in general becuase the streaming audio is the only way to reliably wake one of us up if the baby is screaming.

Thanks for the help,

Sean

5 REPLIES 5
brh
Master
Master

@gearysr

Your family may not have enough internet speed or bandwidth as you do. Check with them to see what their internet specs are.

Brian

gearysr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian,

Thanks but the internet upload/download speed outside the home should not matter. The local wifi is connected on a 802.11n network and plenty fast enough with full signal strength. Per the documentation, the arlo should stream locally when both the device and camera are on the same network.

Thanks,

Sean

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gearysr,

If you see the little house icon in the bottom left corner of the stream, that indicates local streaming is working. When you describe significant delay, how many seconds are you seeing?

You indicate you've set up on a different network, did you experience this issue on your original network? Are you connected to the 5GHz band or the 2.4GHz band?

JamesC

gearysr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi JamesC, 

We are on the 2.4GHz band. I do see the little house now but it is switching back and forth between cloud streaming and local streaming (the house will dissapear for a while, then come back later). Every time it switches the audio streaming pauses for a few seconds while the connection is re-established. I'm betting the times when the streaming audio fails is when the switch between the two options fails to complete. The delay when going through the cloud is 3-5 seconds, when we are on the local stream the delay is very short.

Thanks,

Sean

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gearysr,

Have you tried connecting to the 5GHz band? Do experience the same behavior?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation