Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
m_z
Apprentice
Apprentice

I really like my other Arlo cameras, and I wanted to love Arlo Baby.

But - seems the first reviews on Amazon are pretty scathing for this device. The one 5-star review is not from a verified purchaser.

Multiple people asked similar questions, and so far it doesn't seem like Netgear is reacting at all. Would be great to learn if everything is "as designed" (then shame on them) or if there are some fixes coming.

My Arlo Baby is still in the box, as I plan to return it... but would love to learn there's something coming that will make me change my mind...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TwinCitiesJHawk,

New Arlo Baby firmware along with a new iOS app update have been released improving latency.

Please make sure your Arlo Baby and iOS app are up to date and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Release Notes – Arlo Baby 1.8.0.27_12874 – 21st May 2017

Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.1 - 24th May 2017

JamesC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TwinCitiesJHawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wrote a review (1 star) due to the lag being horrible.  5-10 second delay in live mode is unacceptable for a baby monitor when plugged into the wall outlet. 

Only response I was given was to email support for trouble shooting tips.  I emailed them over 48 hours ago and havent received a response.  

Another person said they were told to call, after they called Netgear Support, they were told to reset and reconnect, but they are still having issues with Lag.

I am sending my Arlo baby back in a couple of days to Amazon if I dont see a patch/fix soon.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you know the Arlo Baby camera recently launched, bringing baby monitors to the next level with HD streaming, advanced night vision, temperature/humidity/air quality sensors and more. It has come to our attention that several users have experienced some lag or delay when live streaming the camera. The best way to improve streaming responsiveness is to make sure you are streaming from a mobile device that is connected to the same WiFi network as your Arlo Baby camera. If you are streaming from a mobile device that is on a different network, the video stream is sent to the cloud first before it reaches your playback device, which may increase the latency.

We are actively investigating all the performance characteristics in the wild and we are going to continuously put in enhancements to optimize your experience with Arlo Baby. Please feel free to reach out to our team at Arlo Support if you have a question or are experiencing issues with Arlo Baby.

Please see our Knowledge Base article with more details on how to setup your network for the Arlo Baby to optimize your viewing experience. As we get more information we will be updating the article with additional details.https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-reduce-video-streaming-lag-or-delays-...

m_z
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the note.

However, I'm still (eagerly) waiting for some indication from Netgear on what is the expected latency in a properly configured network.

Assuming all the people that bought your device have things misconfigured and asking them to invest time trying to possibly improve the performance is moot if we don't know what the expected performance is !

TwinCitiesJHawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm indeed on the same network on both my cell phone and arlo baby cam and still experience a 5+ second lag on live feed. 

I have an arlo pro outside further away from the router that has better streaming with less lag than the Arlo Baby. 

I have also been using a Nest Cam as my baby monitor which has less than 1 sec lag and has nothing but great.  I just don't want to pay $99/year anymore to use it but may have no choice if the Arlo Baby continues  to have this problem. 

snip3rboy
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @TwinCitiesJHawk - I sent you a private message. Please check.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TwinCitiesJHawk,

New Arlo Baby firmware along with a new iOS app update have been released improving latency.

Please make sure your Arlo Baby and iOS app are up to date and let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Release Notes – Arlo Baby 1.8.0.27_12874 – 21st May 2017

Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.1 - 24th May 2017

JamesC

m_z
Apprentice
Apprentice

Btw, I finally decided to unpack my Arlo Baby, and it's not that bad. I feel the firmware/software updates must have made things better.

I ended up giving it 4 starts on Amazon, as there are still some annoying things, but I hope more software updates will address at least some of them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

m_z,

I am glad to hear you have had a good experience. Please let us know any issues you may be having.

Please feel free to reach out to our team at Arlo Support if you have a question or are experiencing issues with Arlo Baby.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation