Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

We have an Arlo baby cam and the iOS app is playing up.

On the main account on my iPad 9.7 and iPhone 7 it works flawlessly, but on my wife’s iPhone 8 and iPad Air, it continually logs out / Closes. My wife has a guest account. I have deleted and reinstalled it, set the iPad not to close... I even used a blank spare iPhone 6s and the same issue...

what could be be going On?

cheers JB

33 REPLIES 33
steve_t
Master Master
Master

If that guest account is open on multiple devices eg iPhone 8 and iPad and iPhone 6S, each one might be trying to log in and kicking the other ones off. Log out or even remove the app from 2 of the devices and see how the one remaining device reacts

Peterctrue
Tutor
Tutor

I have the exact same issue.  I have created the main account for myself and a seperate account for my wife.  We can both montior the camera at the same time but every 2 hours or so, it logs both devices out.  This has made the Arlo baby cam unusable because it cannot be trusted.  I have fallen asleep only to wake up to a logged out app and the baby screaming unmonitored.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Are you both on iOS11?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Check the battery optimization settings on your device. It sounds like your mobile device could be putting the Arlo mobile app to sleep after it has been idle for a period of time. Turn off the battery optimization settings or allow the Arlo mobile app as an exception.

JamesC

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that idea.

Last night I logged into my wifes iPad with the main account cridentials and ensured that the app was closed on every other device... It still restarted the app into the login screen.

Cheers,

Josh

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Peter,

Its very frustrating... at a purchase price of $399, it isnt a cheap baby monitor. This issue is major though, even though i can look past the fact that the temp sensor is so inaccurate it isnt funny... waking up to a screaming baby because you werent able to hear them when they first started to wake up is stressful.

Are you using iOS devices? What models are they and what OS version are they running?

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Steve,

The iPad is iOS 9.3.5 and the iPhone 6S is iOS11.

Both do the same thing... As i thought it may have been an iOS11 issue as well at first.

Cheers,

Josh

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James,

Could you please advise how to do this in iOS? I havent noticed anything like that before on my iPhone or iPads.

Regards,

Josh

AlbertL
Guide
Guide

Were both iOS (iphone or ipad) at home when you noticed this issue?  Or one is outside (i.e at work) and one is at home?

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Albert,

Thanks for pitching in mate.

We have 6 idevices in total at home each night which all have the Arlo app installed.

My wife’s iPad Air and iPhone 8.
My iPad 9.7 and iPhone 7
A wall mounted iPad 3 for home automation and Arlo monitor in the kitchen.
A spare iPhone 6S which we tried as well.

We only had the Arlo app open on the iPad Air last night, so I checked the app was completely shut down on every other device and also logged the iPad Air into the main account... but still no joy...
Peterctrue
Tutor
Tutor
I was just told by Support that it’s a default behavior for the account to log out after 30 minutes of inactivity. I am not certain why you would want a baby monitor that logs out if I don’t touch the app for 30 minutes. I have asked if there is a way to disable this account timeout.
I have a dedicated iPad with all power saving setting disabled and want the app to display continuously with no arlo account timeout. If this cannot be accomplished than the device is not appropriate for a baby monitor and really should not have been marketed as such.
DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Peter,

I read that elsewhere as well. But i know that we can sit in out loungeroom and watch TV for an hour or 2 without it logging out.

I am off to buy a wifi range extender today, just to tick off Wifi range from the list of possible issues.

I do have a Netgear tech emailing me currently to try and resolve. See how we go... Otherwise its back to JB Hifi for Arlo... And ill try my second pick which was a D-Link PTZ baby monitor... Yes, i just said D-Link on a Netgear forum!!

Cheers,

Josh

Peterctrue
Tutor
Tutor
I have had it last a couple hours without logging out as well. I assume that the 30 minute timeout is reset if motion or sound is detected and the clock is reset.

For me I am confident Wireless is not my issue. I have perfect 5G signal through the house.

I’ve asked if this timeout can be removed. Let’s see what they come back with. I’ll check out the other devices you mentioned.
DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Im not sure about the reset timer assumption. We run the White Noise continusouly and always hear it back through the speaker... so surely that would be registering sound??...

But perhaps you are correct with the movement thing??? If that is the case, whoever designed the app must not have any babies... 😛

ronanh2002
Star
Star

From what other post I have read it is a software bug that NetGear is aware of. There are numerous complaints regarding this issue. I am using an iPad mini w/ iOS 11 as a baby monitor. All bells and whistles disabled.

We have our app running continuously even when our son is not in his crib. It has stayed on for several hours. Then it has also shut down after a few minutes while he is in his room.

Yes it is very frustrating when you have this expensive cool device and a 70.00 baby monitor works flawless

God Bless

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

UPDATE:

So i removed the camera from my account, deleted Arlo app from all devices and did a hard reset on the camera.

I have re-setup the camera and re added to my main account and the two shared guest accounts.

Interesting behaviour now is that the main account will stay logged in, as well as one of the guest accounts, but my wifes account still logs out... so we swapped devices with the accounts and it appears to be the account just logging out!...

Again, it is not logging out because of another device logging in. There is no error saying that like when we do it deliberately. And we are ensuring that the app is not open or running in the background on any other device and we are asleep!... So please dont tell me that is the problem.

Regards,

JB

Peterctrue
Tutor
Tutor
I performed the latest update to the Arlo app yesterday and noticing that it has not logged out all day. I’m hoping they resolved the issue. I will continue to monitor the situation.
DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Peterctrue wrote:
I performed the latest update to the Arlo app yesterday and noticing that it has not logged out all day. I’m hoping they resolved the issue. I will continue to monitor the situation.

Hi Peter,

Just confirming you are referring to iOS App and what country you are in??? (Havent noticed any app update on the Australian iOS App Store)

Cheers,

Josh

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DoinitSideways,

A recent iOS update was released addressing some bugs with the iOS Arlo Mobile app, take a look at the release notes here and be sure to download the update from the iOS app store: Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.4 - 27th September 2017

JamesC

ronanh2002
Star
Star

We have the latest iOS build 11.02 along with the latest Arlo app build. The app completely closes at random times. I have had the Arlo app open for over 2 hours. When I awoke this morning the app was closed and the ipad was showing the home screen.

-Screen timeout is disabled on the ipad

-It is plugged in all night

Is there away to enable developer mode on the app?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ronanh2002,

Was there an error message for why the app closed? Unless you are streaming an Arlo Baby, the app will timeout after being idle for a period of time by design.

JamesC

DoinitSideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Ronan,

Its pretty hit and miss this issue... frustrating that there are no errors or anything to give to Netgear.

One thing i have notived since the upgraded iOS app a week ago is that it only appears to logout/crash the app with the first 'guest' account that i added. Ive added two more guest accounts and found that the main account and the two additional guest accounts have (touch wood) stayed on all night.

So maybe try setting up a new guest account with another email address... dont foget to go back into the email account after you set it up to verify the account. See how the new account goes for the night.

Cheers,

Josh

ronanh2002
Star
Star

The app is only running our Arlo Baby. Specifically Arlo Baby camera is the only camera active.

Our 4 Arlo Pro cameras have not worked in 2 months.Tier 1 support is horrible. They have been sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

ronanh2002
Star
Star

Josh-

Glad it works for you, but my master account shuts down as well.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation