Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Baby portability

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dclark82
Follower
Follower

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought the Arlo 720p 3x camera wireless package - not the pro version (at least I don't think it is) - and first impressions are excellent.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few weeks, and naturally I am considering adding the Arlo Baby monitor to the my existing collection as that way I will not have to worry about buying incompatibe equipment etc.

Arlo Baby is far and away the most expensive option on the UK market when it comes to baby monitors, at a guess I would say easily GBP£100 more than the next comparable baby monitor. My question however is less about price and more on functionality - is Arlo Baby portable?

Apologies if this is a stupid question but from what I can tell, when it comes to baby monitors, most people consider 'portable' to be wire-free and battery operated so that there is the option to have the base unit free to move around the house. My understanding here being that, Arlo Baby will still be connected to the same WiFi network.

My query is more about what happens when there is no WiFi availability? For example, a power surge shuts down home electricity, going abroad on vacation, or any other reason that could cause WiFi outage. A lot of the cheaper video baby monitors seem to have their own in-built WiFi between base unit and monitor device meaning, when travelling you can bring the baby monitor with you without the need to connect to another WiFi network. Obviously Arlo Baby doesn't come with a monitoring device and users are expected to use a mobile phone / tablet, but I wondered if I've missed something with how Arlo Baby works.

Grateful for any insight you good people can provide.

Thanks,

ps. I'm considering a cheap audio only baby monitor should Arlo Baby not support WiFi free access. 

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

is Arlo Baby portable?

Yes... it contains an internal battery that will run aprox 3+ hrs at night ( ir running ) and 6 hrs in daytime.

But you still need a local wifi to hook into... normally it will hook into your own router but other wifi with uploads over 1Mbs will work if you have access and can set it up

It does not have a typical video transmitter found in the cheaper direct camera to monitor units

My query is more about what happens when there is no WiFi availability? For example, a power surge shuts down home electricity, going abroad on vacation, or any other reason that could cause WiFi outage.

If wifi goes down, so does the Arlo Baby.. it doesn't hook into a phone with like Bluetooth short range wireless.

But if your running a ups on your home router, short term power outages aren't an issue

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation