Arlo Baby device not streaming or disconnected
I'm not sure I exactly agree with it isn't an app issue as well. My wife and I have the exact same phones, on the exact same WiFi, accessing the exact same cameras and I do not have an issue but she does. I haven't updated my app since probably August and she has. So if it wasn't partially an app issue, why do I not have problems yet my wife does?
I definitely wouldn't be confident that the issue I am seeing is the only issue. In your case it sounds like it may be a separate issue and it could well be app related.
From a troubleshooting perspective I've picked the low hanging fruit, ie the issue I can see and is pretty obvious for now. I'm trained to work from the lower layers (physical and network) to the upper layers (app) since if the underlying network is broken, the apps that rely on it are probably experiencing issues as well.
Because the Arlo baby isn’t sold anymore anywhere, it leads me to believe that they discontinued the product all together and just got rid of the staff and support specifically for Arlo baby.
Really? It's still on the website, and JB Hifi here in Australia still seem to stock it. I bought mine only a few weeks ago, but baby isn't due until March/April so for now I am just testing it. I figured it would give me a bit of time to get the bugs fixed 😉
0/5 would not recommend.
We returned our Arlo Baby after 3 days via Amazon.
We originally bought it to replace a google nest camera (mostly because the Nest app doesn't work on Apple TV, and the picture-in-picture via the native Apple Home app is something we wanted).
But after experiencing the same issues intermittent "The camera is not responding" messages that had no obvious source (I won't bore anyone with the details but I am technically literate) PLUS the forums here seem riddled with the same (or substantially similar) problems that have been going on since 2017 (from what I could tell searching the forum).
The typical response form company moderators here is "contact support", yet subsequently people have complained that support has not been forthcoming. [Also you'd expect if this was a throughly resolved issue, there would be a simple page of instructions to that people could be directed to for troubleshooting.]
In any case, the end result is that we just boxed it up and asked Amazon to come and collect it... we'll happily put up with some of the lack of features of Nest given that it is at least reliable for its fundamental purpose... i.e. it at least works as a basic baby monitor with movement notifications.
I wouldn't normally bother posting a review, but given the sheer number of people suffering the same class of problem, in my opinion its entirely not appropriate to claim this is fit for purpose as a baby monitor.
@exarlobaby_user I have contemplated sending mine back as well. I have 6 Nestcam's already, and if the issues with this Arlo Camera don't progress I'll be sending it back and getting another Nestcam. Which is a shame because I like the features of the device but the operation of it is awful.
I have had some reponses from support, so far mostly scripted questions but I'll give them a fair go first before I give up. I've had the thing for a month now and it has never worked reliably. Baby is due in late March/early April and at that point this will become critical but I want to make progress well before then. Given how easy it is to reproduce the problem (for me I can just disconnect the Baby Monitor from the Wifi Access Point and it never connects back...) I am quite puzzled as to why this is still an issue and why Arlo has not realised that the product is fundamentally flawed and needs fixing.
Support have told me to factory reset, which I did yesterday (do these things not come in a "factory reset" state from the factory?). After doing that the access to the camera settings from the app is busted on both my and my wife's phone and the only way I can get to many of the settings is via the Web UI online.
@Abraden I suspect these issues can be fixed or at least worked around, it strikes me as it may well be a software issue which could be addressed via a firmware update.
Even a script on the device which sent a ping every minute and restarted the Wi-fi interface if the ping failed would be a dirty hack but would ensure the device was almost usable (well, more usable than they are now where they need power cycling to come back).
Just to conclude my experience with the Baby Monitor - the support agent who last responded to my case suggested (as part of standard script troubleshooting steps), that my unit may be faulty and they wanted to RMA it, so I took the chance to print that out and take it with my receipt back to the retailer I purchased the Baby Monitor from as evidence that the Baby Monitor didn't work as advertised.
I don't think there's any hardware fault with it at all, as this problem has all the hallmarks of a software defect, but the human baby is due in 6 weeks and I have absolutely zero confidence that Arlo Support would have this thing in any way operational before then. Support have made me jump through lots of irrelevant hoops (such as factory resetting the device even though it came from the factory in a reset state, deleting and re-adding the device from my account to see if it still lost connectivity - neither of which worked and showed a lack of understanding of the problem). It feels like I was still working with Level 1 support who don't have a clue what the problem is and didn't understand what Wi-fi is or how it works.
This garbage grade hardware with inferior support has gone back and I now have a refund. That's the first and last Arlo device I will ever be buying.
Please don't contact me with any first level support bull**bleep**. I've tried them all and thanks to this community I had very specific steps I could take. Unfortunately none worked (perfect network, updates, factory reset etc.)