Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JordanIG
Aspirant
Aspirant
The manual mentions various VOCs the air sensor detects, but not one of the most infamous: formaldehyde. Is that detected also?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tunguyen
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @JordanIG,

The air quality sensor in the Arlo Baby camera does have a certain sensitivity to Formaldehyde. However, please keep in mind that the sensor reacts to and reports on the total VOC in the air, and not particularly on one single VOC. The sensitivity of the sensor varies by type of gas, and for Formaldehyde, there would need to be a pretty high concentration of it in the air in order for the sensor to react.

Thanks,

Tu

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JordanIG,

Arlo Baby can measure the level of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in the room. VOCs are made up of hydrocarbons and can easily become vapors or gases at room temperature. VOCs are released from sources like burning fuel, solvents, paints, glues, air freshener, cleaning supplies, or hair spray.

For more information on how the Arlo Baby air quality sensor works, see here: How do Arlo Baby’s air sensors work, and how do I interpret the readings?

JamesC

JordanIG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I understand the definition of VOCs, but in the manual, it doesn't actually list formaldehyde, but it does list others.  So I'm asking a yes or no question: does the sensor detect formaldehyde?

tunguyen
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @JordanIG,

The air quality sensor in the Arlo Baby camera does have a certain sensitivity to Formaldehyde. However, please keep in mind that the sensor reacts to and reports on the total VOC in the air, and not particularly on one single VOC. The sensitivity of the sensor varies by type of gas, and for Formaldehyde, there would need to be a pretty high concentration of it in the air in order for the sensor to react.

Thanks,

Tu

JordanIG
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, cool, thanks.  What, roughly, is "pretty high"?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation