Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
mservidio
Tutor
Tutor

The Arlo Baby Status Light and Night Light have been randomly turning on the past few evenings. I think this started occuring since the latest iOS app and potential firmware upgrade on the Arlo Baby cameras. Passwords I'm resetting now.

There should be a 2FA authentication for accessing cameras and also an ability to see which users/locations/devices logged in to view the cameras on Arlo. I'm highly doubtful that someone hacked in, but either way it's extremely creepy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been an update that should resolve the issue with the status led illuminating when toggled off. Please make sure to have the latest FW version installed. You can find more information regarding this update here. Arlo Baby ABC1000 - 1.9.13.0_815 - 19th May 2020

View solution in original post

65 REPLIES 65
Sullivrc
Initiate
Initiate

My Arlo Baby occasionally has its LED lights go off in the middle of the night (sometimes because of WiFi issues or because of other notifications). How can I disable this? I am obviously not in the room (that’s the whole point of the camera!) and instead it is flashing a strobe light on my sleeping baby (until it wakes her up). If I can’t find a solution I’m going to have to start using something else. Thanks

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

mservidio,

Have you tried to reboot the Arlo Baby & monitor again? Do you have the status LED turned off?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Sullivrc,

You can disable the Arlo Baby lights by going onto the app and click on the "lamp icon" on the live view. You can read more here about Arlo Baby lights: How do I use the Arlo Baby night light?

sarahsweet
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same issue- the status light blinks on sometimes during the night. It seems to coincide with the device going offline for firmware updates. Turning off the night light does not override this.
mservidio
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, rebooting hasn't helped. After a few more occurences, I realized that it's the purple light, for WiFi "too far away from the router". However, when this is happening, no other devices are having WiFi issues. I checked my access point, and there were no outages. Additionally, the access point is no further than 20 feet from the Arlo Baby.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

mservidio,

What is the firmware version your Arlo Baby is currently running? It seems there may be some type of interference happening within the home recently. Are there any new devices located near the monitor?

mservidio
Tutor
Tutor

1.8.5.3_21226

I've not added any new devices to the network in several months. I'm in an apartment building though, so it's possible other networks are interfering.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

mservidio,

Is it possible to move the Monitor closer to your router for testing purposes? To see if there may be interference from someones device(s) in that room/area.

Hamy16
Initiate
Initiate
Has anyone been able to resolve this yet? My purple WiFi light is on as well but there’s no WiFi connectivity issues. I can still see everything on the camera in the app. So why is the purple light on? Restarting hasn’t worked. Please help.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Hamy16

Have you tried to remove the camera from the settings & reinstall?

cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here. I've even disabled the LED status in settings but still getting the purple light, which often wakes up the baby!

The Arlo is just 8 feet away from router with no obstacle. It shouldn't have any reason to light up the purple LED when my other wifi devices are showing good connection.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cnnn

Is this purple light blinking or is it solid when on? I have provided an LED behavior article that may help. 

What do the different LED behaviors on my Arlo Baby camera mean?

cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is solid purple. But my phone on the same WiFi was able to access internet. But I have all camera LED options off.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cnnn

Have you tried to reboot the camera & test again? If that does not help, you can also try a factory reset on the device.

TooMuchTaurine
Tutor
Tutor
I agree this is a very short sighted design for a baby monitor, if there is no way to disable, I think my approach will be put some electrical tape over the led....
TooMuchTaurine
Tutor
Tutor
Just to be clear, occasionally the device will lose wifi or connection back to Arlo. I have no issue with this occasionally happening. What I'm complaining about is having the led flash on and off when it does lose connectivity. It wakes the baby up and it's not as if anyone is there to see the flashing light besides the baby! I'll know if it's lost internet connectivity anyway when I try to look at the monitor on my phone!.

Shortsighted design flaw
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @TooMuchTaurine

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

TooMuchTaurine
Tutor
Tutor
Hey @ShayneS,

Not I haven't, as I said it's not technically a bug with the Arlo baby, just a really bad design flaw (maybe the developers/product owners never had kids before!)

Is there a product feedback forum?

Koveu
Tutor
Tutor
The live stream seemed stuck while my baby was crying. I walked into the room. The Arlo Baby camera was flashing purple or blueish lights (some sort of system update???). It was super bright and since the camera is set up close to my little one, it probably woke her up. I will wake up if such bright light is flashing above my head. What is going on??? I posted this not because it only happens once. I caught this a few times already and the past two incidents woke my baby up.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Koveu,

If you experienced a flashing purple light, it means your Arlo Baby is too far from the router. Or if your Arlo Baby is flashing blue, it's trying to connect to the internet. You can read more about the LED lights for your Arlo Baby here: What do the different LED behaviors on my Arlo camera mean?

landski
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our ISP have been doing maintenance every night for the last week. Every night I get an email from my Nest cam that the internet is out. And every night my two Arlo Baby cams starts flashing blue because they have no internet connection. Now, I have set the status LED to be OFF from the beginning, and when it is OFF I don’t expect it to start flashing blue in the middle of night. But it still does. Like @Koveu, this flashing light also woke up our youngest. Arlo should be updated so we can better control the status light. If Nest can manage internet outages, I’m sure Arlo can come up with a solution too. 

I should add, when I say flashing blue light, it is more brite white with a speck of blue, it would wake up almost anybody. 

cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Got our second arlo baby to put in our bedroom. Latest firmware. Same purple lights in the middle of night. I’m using a tape as a workaround. While I recommend Arlo to friends, this is clearly a bug or design flaw I’ve been telling them until it gets fixed/disabled.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cnnn

What firmware is your camera running?

TooMuchTaurine
Tutor
Tutor
1.9.3.0_791
HW 6