Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having some occasional trouble using Arlo Baby through Apple's HomeKit app when on my home network. I'm using the Netgear Orbi (RBK50) as my router.  My iOS devices are all up to date with the most current software update (11.4.1).  The Arlo BAby is running 1.8.4.5_20140 (most current), and the Netgear Orbi is running 2.1.4.16 (most current).

The problem (see attached picture) is that the HomeKit app reports that the Arlo Baby "Camera Not Available - This camera is being viewed by someone else."  I rarely get this error when I'm stationary in my house, but for example, when I go upstairs, I'll sometimes receive this error message, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Orbi handoff between router and satellite.  It occurs both on my iPad and iPhone, and closing the apps on both devices does not fix the issue.  Curiously, if it happens at night, the issue will have resolved itself by the time I wake up in the morning. 

In either case, it is an irritating error, as no one else on my network even has the software installed to manage the Arlo/HomeKit, so it’s impossible, short of someone intruding on my network, for there to be someone else monitoring the Arlo Baby over the HomeKit app.  I prefer the HomeKit app over the Arlo app due to the lack of pixilation and lag often present on the native Arlo app.  There is no reason why the HomeKit app should perform better for live video monitoring than the native Arlo app, but that’s for a different post.

Is anyone else receiving the “Camera Not Avaliable – This camera is being viewed by someone else” error message when using the HomeKit app?  Is there anything I can do with my configuration to avoid receiving this message?

arlo.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Improvements for Homekit integration have been made in the latest firmware release for Arlo Baby. If you're experiencing issues, please be sure your Arlo Baby is up to date with the latest firmware:

Arlo Baby - 1.8.6.2_22781 - 6th December 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kellte2,

Thanks for the detailed information. I will escalate this to the development team and try to find out if this is an issue. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. To the extent it is helpful, the issue just occured despite having stayed in the same room for the night, so it likely has nothing to do with switching between Orbi access points. 

b_ran_don
Guide
Guide
I have the same problem with HomeKit connections to my Arlo Baby that you’ve described. I also have an Orbi RBK53 system.
Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Any updates from the dev team, @JamesC?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kellte2,

I apologize for the delay. This is still being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as possible.

JamesC

Morpheus2002
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue with my camera I found out, that if any other user is using the Arlo or the Homekit app for a live view of the camera nobody else can access the picture. Works only if using two Arlo apps parallel, but not working with 2 Home apps opened parallel. 

questionmark32
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the exact same problem.  I just got this camera yesterday and after setting it up on HomeKit it was working perfectly.  But the next day I'm getting "Camera Not Available: This camera is being viewed by someone else".  There is no one else viewing my camera.  I don't want to constantly reset the camera to get it to work all the time.  I'll easily bring this camera back if I'm going to have to reset all the time.  I travel and I can't have this issue happen.

MWFD
Star
Star

Any update on this? I'm also experiencing this issue on my brand new Arlo Baby that I received yesterday. 

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't want to take anything away from @JamesC but Arlo's support is abysmal.  He created a case for me in late July, after I took the time to create an extremely detailed report on a significant glitch in the already unstable Arlo iOS intergration, and it has been completely SILENT as to follow through from Netgear/Arlo.

The iOS app is completely unstable.  It crashes routinely.  The HomeKit intergration is near broken.  Neither the app nor firmware has been updated since June, despite the considerable bugs/errors clearly present and documented by end users on this community page.

You just went public.  This level of support isn't acceptable.  Fix your software or that public offering won't be worth much in the near term.  

Morpheus2002
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. Nothing is working properly. I have to reset the camera every 3 days. I gave it 3 weeks a try, but now I'm sending it back. I can't recommend this camera to anybody.

corristo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the exact same issues, although I’m using a third-party WiFi access point.

I wonder how Apple even certified the HomeKit integration.

Having seen this thread I’m also considering returning the camera.
Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wanted to provide a brief update on my case.  I've been escalated from Level 2 to the Engineering Team, where I'm told that I should expect additional updates within the next 24-48 hours.  The Level 2 representative, Goldmar, has been very patient and pleasant to work with, so I am hopeful that we will eventually reach a resolution on this issue sooner rather than later.  Nothing promised, but it is trending well.

MWFD
Star
Star
Thanks @Kellte2. PLEASE keep us updated with your case. as I would love to hear of a fix or workaround. Thank you!
Nhott
Guide
Guide
I get that whenever someone is using the Arlo app to view the stream.
Tsloan27
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any updates to this. Bought Arlo yesterday and already seeing this error. Would like to know how to fix it.
GuiBacon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi...i want to know if any other user is using the Arlo or the Homekit app for a live view of the camera nobody else can access the picture. Works only if using two Arlo apps parallel, but not working with 2 Home apps opened parallel. 

Kellte2
Apprentice
Apprentice

After two calls with the dev team - and field testing the trial firmware (which ultimately became the release version) - this issue was not resolved.  I stopped hearing from my contact with Level 2 support, and I have absolutely no hope that this issue will be permanently fixed.  The only workaround is to reboot the Arlo Baby device, if you receive this message. 

Chalk this up to another fail on the part of the dev team.

Swiggles
Star
Star
Having the same issue. And I really don’t understand how the home, when working, has a half second lag but the AROL app has a 2.5 second lag at the minimum. And no sound with the arlo baby in the arlo app after most recent update.
MWFD
Star
Star
Same issue with HomeKit showing “Camera Unavailable” message after dreaming for roughly 10 minutes. This is a consistent error that happens despite no other device attempting to view the feed through HomeKit app OR Arlo app. And I can’t use Arlo app because it drops connection randomly despite my super strong and super close wireless setup. Why is this is so hard Arlo? When will we be able to monitor our babies without some BS issue?!
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I 've got the same problem from the very beginning. I've bought this camera via Apple's website in Poland. "Camera Not Available. This camera is being viewed by someone else." status occurs incessantly. I am getting sick of this - this camera was not cheap and I wonder, how this device could have passed through Apple Home Kit certificate. Or maybe haven't ? There is no possibility to being viewed by someone else - I've checked it many times. Made restarts, re-power etc. Unsuccessfully.

Kheynom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello there,

Using Arlo baby for 3 months already and very same issues. I am very simple user - I do not need pictures, recording, hell not even the air temperature and quality (no it does not work well - temperature and humidity is rather random).

What do I need is simple Wi-Fi baby cam supporting HomeKit with low delay and NO ERRORS. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Homekit: <1sec delay (OK) but constant errors (viewed by someone else)

Arlo app: >6sec delay (useless) but less errors (disconnecting randomly)

What can I do? What to choose? Based on the situation here it seems that another camera. I do not mind the price - even if the price is twice as high, I would gladly pay it if there was low delay and no errors.

Seems to me the hardware is fine but software should get some major updates.

Please do something with that and I will buy one more.
Swiggles
Star
Star
Here’s something I found interesting and extremely annoying. I have orbi for my WiFi at home, yesterday my Internet went down while she was napping which meant that the arlo app wouldn’t connect. It’s on the same WiFi so why you make it go to the cloud first is beyond me... However the Home app worked perfectly while the internet was down. When internet came back up it booted me off the Home app saying the camera was being used.

Apple has a direct connection with the camera, no cloud, no internet needed. No delay, no pixels.

HEY ARLO TECHS WHY CANT MY BABY MONITOR WORK WITHOUT THE INTERENT OR YOUR STUPID CLOUD SO I CAN BE SAFE WITH MY CHILD!! You either don’t have children or use a better monitor yourselves this is ridiculous.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Improvements for Homekit integration have been made in the latest firmware release for Arlo Baby. If you're experiencing issues, please be sure your Arlo Baby is up to date with the latest firmware:

Arlo Baby - 1.8.6.2_22781 - 6th December 2018

JamesC

Swiggles
Star
Star
Home kit is working well now. As long as the arlo app is closed on all devices then the home connects without issues. Thank you!

If it is possible, being able to view on multiple devices in the Home app would awesome. That way my wife and I can be monitoring at the same time if we are in different areas of the house.