Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
cancarlo
Tutor
Tutor

Since I cannot reopen the previous Always Listening Mode - Audio Disconnections thread I'm creating a new one.

The Always On feature seems to work apparently, but not in a consistent and reliable way on my (Xperia) Android 7.1.1, that is, it stops after some random time (usually 5 minutes). The only way to make sure the sound does not get disrupted is to keep the app in the foreground with the display always active (which is not really a viable option most of the time). Surprisingly, however, I do not experience any issue with an older tablet with Android 4.4.2.

So, after some testing I came to the conclusion that it's because of some recently introduced power optimization that halts the network stack: while the tabled can always be pinged from another computer (with very little and consistent RTTs), my phone both exibits high variance (power saving features again) and stops responding after some time, irremediably terminating the audio stream. The phone does not formally/actually disconnect from the access point, which shows it as associated, but it's actually dead from the networking perspective. By the way, this is unrelated to the App specific battery optimization settings, I've placed the Arlo app in the "not optimized" list since the beginning but it made no difference.

So, I understand this is more of an Android problem, but if the Arlo app cannot configure the system in a way that makes the Always On audio reliable when selected, that it's a totally useless product. This needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Seriously.

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I would open an offical issue with Netgear Support... the sooner they are fully aware, the faster it may get fixed.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation