Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

So many things wrong with the Arlo Audio Doorbell -- I'd never buy the video version

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jasongabler
Star
Star

This community post claims that the ability to only silence/turn off the audio phone call but still alert for a rung bell has been fixed quite some time ago. (I would comment there, but the post is closed.) The claim is that it was just an issue with the app interface. This is not the case. Not only does the "WHEN SILENT MODE IS ON/Incoming Call"  switch the "Silent Mode" off (and causes it to disappear), the over all UI for this makes no sense to me. When I put it into silent mode, I thankfully do not get a call, but neither do I get a notification of a bell being run in the app on my phone. This is also true when I configure the device via the web app.  I do not understand the concept behind this device. It seems all flash and no substance. Even then, the audio quality is virtually unintelligible.

The most mind-boggling issue is that this doorbell does not integrate with modes like cameras do, where you add a rule, choose the device feature to monitor, then choose the device(s) to activate and finally choose the method of notification. Why not?

To make matters more confusing, there is a half-baked version of this configuration path for the doorbell's motion sensor, but not for the button. Why?!  It's as though no one at Arlo though customers might want a doorbell to act like a doorbell. You know, where you press the button and your phone alerts you that someone at the door has hit the button. 

I know this is an outdated product. But I have a camera at my front gate that works just fine and paying $30 instead of $200 for tech I don't need seems logical. Seeing how poor designed the audio bell is, lacking even the most fundamental function of a door bell, I can't imagine buying any other.  My only option is to buy a basic zigbee (et al) button for integration with my home automation system and let it tell me when someone pressed it and use it and/or camera motion to trigger the Alro side of things.

3 REPLIES 3
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing? Are the silent Options (When Silent Mode Is On) disappearing when Silent is toggled? When you select "Silent Mode" All notifications, rings, notifications will be off (Grey), If you want to designate your chime/phone to ring, you will have to toggle the the option (On/Green).

Please make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo Mobile App version iOS 3.5.6 & Android 3.5.6

jasongabler
Star
Star

I hope I can still return this.

• When Silent Mode is OFF and doorbell pressed
    • Duo app fires up, acts like a phone call
    • 2-way audio is terrible, useless
    • App asks if visitor wants to leave a message
  • When Silent Mode is ON and doorbell pressed
    • and Incoming Call is OFF 
      • Duo app does not fire up, no notification at all
      • I  get absolutely no notifications at all
      • App asks if visitor wants to leave a message, and it the record has surprisingly good quality
    • and I attempt to turn Incoming Call ON
      • Apps says "Please wait...." and then turns Silent Mode off.

I give up.  All I wanted was a simple doorbell I could automate from. I hope I can still return this.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you mean the Arlo app? Google Duo does is not compatible with the Doorbell. 

Q. When Silent Mode is OFF and doorbell pressed

• A. You will receive Incoming calls/Chimes

Q. App asks if visitor wants to leave a message

• A. You can change this in Device Settings > Call Settings > Leave your message (Off)

Q. Duo app fires up, acts like a phone call

• A. Correct, The Arlo app will call ring phone

2-way audio is terrible, useless

• A. Can you provide more information regarding this statement?
  • A. What exactly are you experiencing? delay, skipping, No audio?

When Silent Mode is ON and doorbell pressed and Incoming Call is OFF  

• Duo app does not fire up, no notification at all
    • A. Correct, You turned on Silent Mode, so you will not receive a call or chime.
    • A. If you would like calls to come in with Silent Mode ACTIVE, you will need to to have (Incoming Call) slider OFF (Grey).
  • I  get absolutely no notifications at all
    • A. Correct, you turned on Silent Mode
  • App asks if visitor wants to leave a message, and it the record has surprisingly good quality
  • and I attempt to turn Incoming Call ON 
    • Apps says "Please wait...." and then turns Silent Mode off.
    • A. Correct, It sounds like you do not have a chime installed, so you only have one option, to Silent all your calls, Silent mode (ON), or OFF to receive calls as normal. 
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation