Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kenner02
Aspirant
Aspirant

1-8-19 Received Arlo Doorbell as Christmas present from wife. Doorbell will call my phone, but will not ring the house doorbell. I have a Niles System with Niles doorbell switch. . Normally, when the doorbell is pressed, the home sound system is muted, and the doorbell rings through every speaker in the house and garage. The Niles doorbell switch is a simple mechanical function.. When the two doorbell wires are jumpered even briefly, the music is muted and doorbell chimes through all speakers.. I originally set up the arlo DB as a Digital chime, and in setting #1.... nothing, , in setting #3 the DB rings continuously without pressing the button.. Tried all settings, 1,2, and 3. Did factory reset and received same results. Then I performed factory reset, and set up as a mechanical chime. Received same results. On setting 1, and 3, the android phone will ring, but no doorbell in the house. Then after several minutes the in house doorbell will ring on it's own, then it did it again several minutes later, so I instinctively checked the door just in case someone was there.. I have spent hours with this process, and have tried every possible fix I found on these chat forums. Since this Arlo Doorbell must work for some people, I suspected the my problem must lie in the Factory Reset feature, so I held the sync button down for 30 seconds, waited a few seconds then reset another 30 seconds, then did the normal 10 second reset. Still having the same problem. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any possible suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you use the Traditional Chime selection in the doorbell settings?

kenner02
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.  When I set the doorbell up initially, it was automatically set to Traditional chime.  When I heard the the Chime setting could possibly be the issue, I turned off Traditional Chime, and checked the "silent mode", then went back and turned Traditional Chime back on.  I have removed the device, and re-installed it multiple times, and performed a factory reset each time.  I have set it to Digital with no luck, uninstalled, factory reset, then set up as Mechanical.  I have tried setting 1,2,and 3 with every install.  Regardless of Digital or Mechanical, on setting 1 or 3 the door bell will ring continously without pressing the button.  On setting 2, Arlo will call my android and turn on the front porch camera but it will not ring the house doorbell.  The Niles doorbell switch (mutes home sound system and plays a chime or a message) does not require voltage to trigger the doorbell. My original doorbell does not use a transformer, the Niles is activated by just closing the circuit with the mechanical button or a jumper wire.  I am under the impression that a mechanical doorbell is activated by a simple button that just closes the cuircuit momentarily and I am baffled as to why the Arlo's Mechanical setting will not just momentarily close the circuit.  I mistakenely thought that my system was digital and initially set up the Arlo on the digital setting, then when the bell would just continously ring... then I tried the Mechanical install settting.  I thought that possibly the "factory reset" function is malfunctioning so I have tried holding down the reset sync button for 30-45 seconds multiple times, and then tried the recommended 10 second reset.  I still have the same problem.  I suspect that my problem is that I originally set it up mistakenly as a digital system and I am unable to reset it up as a mechanical doorbell.  Could this possibly be the issue?  Any suggestions?  

kenner02
Aspirant
Aspirant

Also, with the Niles Doorbell if the home sound system is not on, the chime will be heard in every room in the house that has a speaker.  And, the Niles is activated by just closing the circuit momentarily.

Wingoa01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do not have an Arlo system but created an account on this forum to reply to you.  I have a Nightowl WDB20 Doorbell unit (similar to the Arlo unit) with a Niles system and the DBI-1 Doorbell interface.  I have the exact same problem you are experiencing and have tried every step that you outlined with the exact same results.  Unit will ring the phone (iphone) but not the doorbell.  I have scoured the web for information about this issue and your post is the only other thing I can find with this same problem. Thus the reason I logged in to reply. 

The NIghtowl unit has a Micro USB port for power.  You plug it in to charge during configuration.   The one thing I did find is that the unit will work correctly if it is plugged into the micro USB port to a power supply.  However, if it is removed from power supply same result, rings phone but not doorbell.  I cannot tell if the doorbell until is receiving power from the low voltage doorbell wires or not.  The unit has about a 1 hour battery back up charge.  I have sent a support help request to Nightowl Tech support.  If I obtain any useful information I will post again.  If you happen to have any breakthoughs I would appreciate reciprocation.  Thank you!!!!

Wingoa01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is one solution I have discovered.  FYI, I have a Nightowl WDB20 doorbell unit but the wiring looks to the same as the Arlo. I have a Niles DBI-1 Interface.  I am not sure the different between one and two.  I purchased a cheap doorbell kit at home depot with a transformer.  After experimenting with connections, I found the following wiring works. The key is to wire the front and rear labeled screws on the purchased doorbell kit into the 3-30V trigger inputs on the Niles DBI.  Use the power amp as instructed between the front and trans screws on the purchased doorbell unit.  The software setting on the doorbell itself should be digital doorbell.  Transformer needs an AC outlet in addition to the AC power for the Niles unit.  

Doorbell Kit: Hampton Bay Wired/Wireless Doorbell model 1003-008-637

Transformer: Hampton Bay HB-122-03 16 volt 10 amp transformer.

Hope this helps!!!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation