Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

How and where do I set the auto message and the phone number(s) to call when doorbell activated

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

when you set up the app on your smart phone... no number added

canned messgs appear if you answer phone, other wise the dbell will ask to leave a messg if wanted

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correct.  I did notice the canned responses and option to put in phone number whenoriginally installed.  So does this mean that in order to add/change the number or choose a response, that I need to completely un-install the doorbell each time, then re-install again, to choose one of these functions?

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
The doorbell does NOT call your phone. It uses a message like system that generates a message back to the logged in phone.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It does somehow use the phone capabilities. I'm not sure how since it's not a real phone call but I've been playing with different phone apps and switching them as the default requires me to reinstall the app before calls work again.

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
It is based on a messenger system according to Arlo techs fb.
stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you all.  It has become quite apparent that this product "Arlo Doorbell" was not ready for primetime when it was released.  The Arlo App software does not support my original question.  I have concluded that you must un-install and then re-install if you wish to change a phone number or change the auto reply that it will use if the phone does not answer or is disabled.  However, I have also determined that I do not need to add or change my number at this specific time as I did configure the installation correctly initially as it does dial my phone number, and if I answer call, then I have two way communication through the doorbell to the visitor. The caveat/problem that I have found is that the reason I was not getting calls is that you must have the Arlo App always running for the phone communication feature to function. My phone is iPhone IOS 12.0.1.  So it appears the Arlo App latest installation has some glaring issues with both the camera functions and the doorbell feature.

stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

This in in-correct ...see the solution

stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks...I actually does come in to the phone as an incoming call with Identiy label of caller that you assigned to the dooribell in the Arlo App.  Once you accept the call, two way communication is established with the phone and doorbell, and speaker of camera that is paired with doobell is disabled.  A .wav file of the communication is then saved in the Arlo App library along with the thumbnail to identify it as such.  See solution I found for getting the call from doorbell

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Check the phone call log of your phone.  Does it appear there as a regular incoming call along with all of the other calls that you received??

stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant

stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it sure does, It is listed in my recent call log as a call from Arlo Audio. Info lists it as incoming call
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
From my experience, doesn't work that way in Android.
stoccar
Aspirant
Aspirant
It seems now that the doorbell is calling both numbers i configured it with during installation, even if the App is NOT running on our IPhones. Both my daughter and I teceived incoming calls when doorbell button pressed. She also received notification to her lockscreen thst I had accepted a call from the doorbell to my iPhone. Pretty cool. Feature I’d say. Seems back to square one now and only problem is that to change the number or message must uniinstall and reinstall instead of simply changing in the installed app.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm missing something. Where did you insert a phone number?

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation