Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Mattydon
Follower
Follower

I am so disappointed with the Arlo first generation Doorbell. Model #AAD1001. 

I have purchased several Netgear products including the Arlo security system (4 cameras/base station) and have been completely impressed and satisfied. As a result, I did not do my due diligence and research this product. Shame on me.

Wasted 3 hours of my life attempting to get this to work. Lousy product with major flaws:

1) Doesn’t connect properly with my existing hard wire mechanical chime. Your existing chime will ring endlessly. The solution? Go buy 2 wireless chimes and add $100 to your system.

2) The speaker/intercom is barely audible.

3) The lag time between Doorbell notification on your phone is 3-4 seconds too long.

4) The unit is cheaply made out of plastic and can easily be removed.

Come on Netgear!!! This product sucks and you rushed it to the market. I’m going to give you a pass. When will you release the next generation of the Arlo Doorbell resolving these problems that have been widely discussed on this forum.

5 REPLIES 5
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Mattydon,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

For your existing mechanical doorbell not connecting properly with your Arlo Audio Doorbell, try to make sure you connected with the correct switch position. You can read here to make sure you set up the doorbell to trigger your existing chime properly: How do I set up my Arlo Audio Doorbell to trigger my existing chime?

With the speaker barely audible, make sure that the speaker is all the way up to 100% on your device settings. For the lag time, make sure that you have your Base Station is close to the Doorbell to ensure you receive a stable connection and to avoid any lag.

If you're still having problems, feel free to let me know; I can have our support team assist you with the problems you're having with your Arlo Audio Doorbell.

schumaku
Master
Master

@Mattydon wrote:

1) Doesn’t connect properly with my existing hard wire mechanical chime. Your existing chime will ring endlessly.

Using the appropriate internal switch position should resolve. Have seen one other user with a electo-mechanical doorbell with an internal Hg-switch reporting the same however.

@Mattydon wrote:

This was enhanced recently, at least to some point. Still, I'm almost convonced the audio amp and speaker does not have enough power available. 

@Mattydon wrote:

3) The lag time between Doorbell notification on your phone is 3-4 seconds too long.

You are lucky, here it feels like almost 10 seconds. OK, 3..4 is about it. Kind of a known issue, for both the App and the Arlo Chime indicating the button pressed - plenty of reports in the community.

@Mattydon wrote:

For e.g. the European market we need a complete different physical size - one to integrate into the standard wall holes for electrical installations. Majority of doorbells in the field are for some 100+ years not surface mounted over here.

@Mattydon wrote:

Come on Netgear!!! This product ... you rushed it to the market.

Agree, I've used the almost same wording some weeks ago.

---
Please click on thumbs up if this answer was useful - thank you!
salacy
Guide
Guide

@JessicaP wrote:

Hi @Mattydon,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

For your existing mechanical doorbell not connecting properly with your Arlo Audio Doorbell, try to make sure you connected with the correct switch position. You can read here to make sure you set up the doorbell to trigger your existing chime properly: How do I set up my Arlo Audio Doorbell to trigger my existing chime?

With the speaker barely audible, make sure that the speaker is all the way up to 100% on your device settings. For the lag time, make sure that you have your Base Station is close to the Doorbell to ensure you receive a stable connection and to avoid any lag.

If you're still having problems, feel free to let me know; I can have our support team assist you with the problems you're having with your Arlo Audio Doorbell.

How about fixing how the doorbell doesn't work with Amazon Echo. I've never been able to get it to give any notification on my Echo device. I have even opened a support ticket for this over 2 months ago and never got a response from Arlo. Hundreds have reported the same issue on these forums, but I have never seen one comment from an Arlo Moderator.

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have posted picture proof of my return requests on Arlo’s twitter feed (specifically the marketing post for the doorbell). I would suggest that we all start doing the same as they are ignoring us here with all these issues.
Aristo22
Aspirant
Aspirant

same here: Doorbell takes up to 1 min to trigger a call on my iPhone (if I am lucky). Problem is the same in WiFi and 4G cellular mode.

@Mattydon wrote:

I am so disappointed with the Arlo first generation Doorbell. Model #AAD1001. 

I have purchased several Netgear products including the Arlo security system (4 cameras/base station) and have been completely impressed and satisfied. As a result, I did not do my due diligence and research this product. Shame on me.

Wasted 3 hours of my life attempting to get this to work. Lousy product with major flaws:

1) Doesn’t connect properly with my existing hard wire mechanical chime. Your existing chime will ring endlessly. The solution? Go buy 2 wireless chimes and add $100 to your system.

Come on Netgear!!! This product sucks and you rushed it to the market. I’m going to give you a pass. When will you release the next generation of the Arlo Doorbell resolving these problems that have been widely discussed on this forum.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation