Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wayned2nd
Star
Star
Getting frustrated as my doorbell only works 30% of the time. I'm using the Arlo chime and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. However when the doorbell is rung, out of 10 tries only 3 connected with a phone call 6 of the 10 connects with the chime. I know someone is at my door due to the doorbell motion notification. Also can not get simultaneous call feature to work. I've added my wife as a user under her own email address.

What I've tried
1. Updating the app.
2. Deleting and reinstalling app
3. Moving router as close as I could but still hidden.

Any other suggestions before I return?
42 REPLIES 42
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

They are two competing systems and are NOT compatible "out of the box".

Check this out if you want to use them together:  https://ifttt.com/connect/ring/arlo

GVJr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes ..no notication whatsoever tried everthing. Thinking about returning. Doorbell on short time. Solutions?
wayned2nd
Star
Star
No, Ring doorbell their competitor.
wayned2nd
Star
Star
Has anyone tried this and been successful?
cjl112
Initiate
Initiate
Yes. I was having the same problem as everyone else, was very frustrated and ready to return the device. I tried this as one last attempt to fix before returning. Works every time now. Causes your phone to consume s bit more battery, but it's not a significant amount.
Jefffromtexas
Apprentice
Apprentice
Why would I need to be logged into the mobile app for this to work?
GVJr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Fix did not work. Mines on the way back too. Why dont they recall this jink. It does not work
GVJr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Saw this as l was getting screwdriver take this thing apart. What exactly is the fix
oujoker
Aspirant
Aspirant

The alert works reliably.  The phonecall has worked, but only works some amount of the time.  Galaxy S7 Edge with "keep-awake" tip mentioned in the thread.  I tried once this morning, and the second press "made the call" from the button, but I did not actually recieve the call.  I have had the call go through a few times and links to the camera as well.

Hope this gets worked out soon as I would rather have all one system rather than mix and match, and I do like the size of the doorbell only vs a full camera when I have an arlo over the door anyway,

Wolfgang363
Guide
Guide

I had an issue with this my self for over a  week, I finally disconnected the doorbell and set it up exactly as the instructions said and it has been working great. I was pairing the doorbell with the base unit incorrectly you do not pair it the same way you pair the cameras. hope this helps

Wakey
Star
Star

I do not believe the missed calls are due to the phone going to sleep. This is because as well as a missed call there is no 'doorbell' event in the library when the doorbell is pressed and the call has been missed.

I have mine with a full 3 bars of signal strength, and about 33% of the time when the doorbell is pressed nothing rings and there is no trigger to even record on the camera as a doorbell event (it does record because it picks up via the camera).

There is a major bug or problem with the servers here, and at the moment this is very unreliable.

I have tried the unpairing and repairing (instructions awful by the way, nowhere does it seem to mention when trying to pair via the app,  the synch button you have to hold down if previously paired and have to re pair.) I found the synch button by accident.

This is a defective product by Arlo- I am very surprised given the good quality of the cameras.

Wolfgang363
Guide
Guide

Remove or unpair the Doorbell from the Base unit and follow the instructions that were in the box with your doorbell and log out of the app on your phone and log back in, there is actually a way to log out and log back in and it will work. a lot of what I am reading are the same problems I had and I was going crazy then I realized I was setting it up wrong. I mean I really don't care what you do or what you think I am just telling you how I got it to work after a week of going crazy, I was swearing the bell was broke and then I did what I said above and it works perfectly.

Wakey
Star
Star

Have tried all that.

This product is a joke and beyond useless, I was (was) a big Arlo fan and people have bought Arlo on the back of my recommendation. Arlo has let fans like me down big time with this doorbell and damaged confidence in the brand.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or you have faulty hardware and a new set would fix things. A lot of angst has been spilled over the years with folks beating their heads against the wall and then it turned out that something was wrong with the device in the first place. Swap at the store or open a case with support here.

Wakey
Star
Star

Too  many are reporting the same issue- across Amazon, other review sites and on here.

I have filed with Amazon for a refund- Arlo made a defective product, it is not good enough.

Ironically it did riing today on one occassion when a visitor pressed the bell so it is extremely hit or miss. Hit  or miss is not good enough.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rings every time here. 

sunnyinseattle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Doorbell is beta 1.2.  The app has improved but I am not sure enough for me not to take it back to Best Buy by next week.  I cannot get consistent calls to my two phones live up to the doorbells main value prop.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and made the necessary permissions on Arlo and on the Device Maintenance app battery setting for Unmonitored apps and still get the follwiing issues:

1)  Doorbell call to phone GS9s is inconsistent.  I had someone ring the doorbell as i was sitting here typing this reveiw and no phone call to our phones. 

2) Delay in doorbell ringing the chime.

3) Chime only rings one time....should have setting for mutiple rings incase i am upstairs and did not hear it.

4) Doorbell does not have any give when you ring it so you get no immediate feedback that you have rang the doorbell. 

Great idea but the Arlo Product and development team had plenty of other doorbell in the market to test and learn from when building this product and taking to market.  

Spoiler

wayned2nd
Star
Star
That was one of the many issues I had as well. Frustration led me to return the doorbell. It's a great idea to add on to existing security cameras, just executed poorly by Arlo
Discussion stats