Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wayned2nd
Star
Star
Getting frustrated as my doorbell only works 30% of the time. I'm using the Arlo chime and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. However when the doorbell is rung, out of 10 tries only 3 connected with a phone call 6 of the 10 connects with the chime. I know someone is at my door due to the doorbell motion notification. Also can not get simultaneous call feature to work. I've added my wife as a user under her own email address.

What I've tried
1. Updating the app.
2. Deleting and reinstalling app
3. Moving router as close as I could but still hidden.

Any other suggestions before I return?
42 REPLIES 42
wayned2nd
Star
Star
I also keep receiving "Arlo App Failed" notifications
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try deleting the doorbell and chime from the base station. Then delete the base station. Add them back to the account and see what happens. If that doesn't work, try creating a new Arlo account using another email address.
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
The chime and phone call receipt are two different issues.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

wayned2nd,

How far away from the base station is your Arlo Audio Doorbell? What obstructions are between it and the base station?

JamesC

Wolfgang363
Guide
Guide

Same here, I took it off the wall and removed batteries and the app still sees it. is the app compatable with the latest android operating system

Wolfgang363
Guide
Guide

Well I removed the Base and then got the camera and the doorbell to be found by the base, and my phone worked twice but not the third time. so at least there was a little progress

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

The generation of phone calls is the hard egg to "crack".  Make sure that your phone is not "sleeping".  The main screen should be up.  Also make sure that you are logged into the Arlo app.

Good luck

Rich

wayned2nd
Star
Star
I deleted the camera assigned to the doorbell as well as the doorbell and reinstalled them both. Still received the same result. I'm not going through the headaches of resetting the base and reinstalling all my cameras. Seems like I will more than likely get the same result
wayned2nd
Star
Star
It's about 15 steps
wayned2nd
Star
Star
What do you mean by "sleeping"? If I'm not using my phone my screen goes black. I'm not going to keep the screen on and drain the battery so I dont miss the doorbell phone call.
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

By "sleeping", I mean that the phone is going into a deep energy saving state.  My LG G7 from Verizon Wireless apparently has three engery saving modes.  With the screen on, everything functions properly.  Calls are received and can be answered.  In the next mode, I will receive Arlo doorbell notifications, but no calls.  In the deepest energy saving mode, the notifications and calls are not received.  Once I power on the screen, the backlog of notifications is received.  I've also tried waking the phone right after ringing the doorbell and the call will come through.

Agreed that it is not a great idea to constantly keep the phone "awake".  The battery life will suffer tremendously.

ashishsingh
Initiate
Initiate
I am also having these issues. I have pixel 3 and iPhone registered with Arlo doorbell. Calls come through on iPhone just fine, but not on Pixel 3. Clearly it's very likely an issue with Android app. I tried contacting support, but Arlo support is horrible.
wayned2nd
Star
Star
GOOD BYE DOORBELL. After trying many of the maneuvers suggested, I've decided to return the doorbell as it was not working out for me. This sucks bc I i had planned to purchase another doorbell as a Christmas gift to my father in law. Upon my doorbell return it was to my attention that the fireTV and can be sync to your arlo cameras.. This set up took about 45 mins. While a great option to see who's at my door when I'm home, I'll be relying on the motion alert from the camera when I'm away.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team has released some improvements on the Arlo Cloud that resolved some issues with receiving calls after the doorbell is pressed. For those who experienced this issue in this discussion, are you still experiencing the same issue?

JamesC

Wolfgang363
Guide
Guide

so far so good appears to be working now

Jefffromtexas
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue, I just installed this and I get the local chime, but nothing on the phone. What a waste.  Back to Best Buy and I'll buy a ring.  Too bad.  I have 9 cameras in my system. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jefffromtexas,

What mobile device do you have that is experiencing the issue? When you tested the doorbell, were you logged in to the mobile app?

JamesC

jstlouis
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to add to this as I am having similar issues.  The difference is when my phone is connected to my home network I get the phone call from the doorbell but no video from the paired camera.  When I am off of the network I don't get any call just that there is motion.  Are there any planned software updates that may make this doorbell more reliable?

thechris
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got this yesterday..  First setup.... No phone call on gal s7edge.

Deleted device and trying again but now the base station wont recognize.  I have a pro2 3 camera system. barely two months old.  Im thinking I may just sell them all off and return the doorbell at this point.  The customer service is IMPOSSIBLE, had an issue with push notifications a couple weeks back on phone for 40 minutes to have them say they will call me back (they never did).  I had to contact them through Amazon who then called them..  This company has something severly wrong with it

ashishsingh
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having this issue and have wasted tons of time with support. Arlo support sucks, really. They will keep asking random unrelated questions, and won't even acknowledge this issue. Don't know how they call themselves a support. Horrible experience so far.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When you reset, be sure to remove the device from Settings, My Devices. Hold the doorbell sync button for at least 10 seconds before trying to reconnect.
cjl112
Initiate
Initiate

Your phone's o/s is putting the app. to sleep.  This is the fix for Android phones:

1) click on the 'Settings' icon

2) select the 'Device Maintenance'

3) click the 'Battery' icon

4) scroll to the very bottom of the screen and select the 'Unmonitored Apps' item

5) scroll to the bottom of the screen and select the 'Add Apps' item

6) select the 'Arlo' app from the list

7) click 'Done' at the top-right corner of the screen

😎 close the menu and enjoy.  your phone will no longer put the Arlo app to sleep.

thechris
Aspirant
Aspirant
I returned the junk already
Drabek
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was going to buy the door bell but not sure after reading all the problems. Is the ring doorbell compatible with the Arlo without any problems?

Discussion stats