Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Chuck_N
Follower
Follower

Ok, Arlo is coming out with a door chime. Great, but I don't need it. My entry camera is setup to record motion after dark, and covers a large area (see attached). The current view isn't great, and doesn't give a good face shot if anyone at the door. However, it's the best for the current system. What's needed is a camera in a doorbell that records when the doorbell is pressed at any hour, or starts recording when someone is in a certain proximity to the door. If Arlo has no plans for this, does anyone know of a doorbell camera that will run on the Arlo system?

8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

@Chuck_N

I was very disappointed in the specs of the newly announced Arlo doorbell with no camera. I totally agree that without the facial shot that a video doorbell would give you there is no real use for this doorbell as the Arlo cameras can already give you notifications. After waiting a long time for Arlo to come out wth a video doorbell, I purchased a Skybell which works great wirh my Samsung Smartthiings system which works great with Arlo. Not only do I get the notifications from Skybell if motion is detected but I also get notifications of the doorbell being rung. At night when motion is detected, a light on the top of the Skybell lights up which illuminates anything at face level. Using Smartthings I can also start my Arlo cameras to start recording if the doorbell is rung or motion is detected. Unfortunately, Arlo has not allowed any triggers from any other sensors except for the new Arlo lights. Fortunately, Arlo allowed an integration with Samsung Smartthings early on and that allowed all sorts of types of sensors to trigger the camera recordings.

There are several video doorbells on the market but none of them integrate directly with Arlo without a third party system to act as a bridge.

Brian

bubbasw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes why no Camera? You want to see person's face head on. Like Ring.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Business decision. Many/most folks already have a camera looking for people coming up to the door. Also, how many folks want a video of someone's belly button?

brh
Master
Master

Different strokes for different folks. I can see where a low cost doorbell without a camera could be advantageous for those that already have a sufficient number of cameras pointing at their front doors and for those who have reached their 5 camera limit for the free subscription, but there are a lot of people that desire a video doorbell, as has been stated before, this would give a frontal facial recognition to whoever is at one's door. One's regular cameras may need to be mounted where it would be difficult to truly identify a person at the door and of course the doorbell would have to be mounted high enough to get a good view of the person's face. My Skybell video doorbell gives excellent resolution of a persons face and at night it has a built in light that comes on when motion is detected and it lights up the whole porch thus giving me very good detail of the person's face at night. Maybe Arlo should have two versions.

Brian

ebuhrendorf
Star
Star
Agree. Want to stay in Arlo but Ring looks better with video.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you already have a camera covering the front door?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I have Arlo cameras, Axis cameras and a Ring Pro doorbell.  Personally I recommend people install products from more than one vendor because these systems fail from time to time and it is really handy to have a backup system.  Arlo once missed an entire UPS delivery that I normally see on two Arlo cameras.  Fortunately, my Axis system caught it all since it records locally and doesn’t rely on the “cloud” for recording.

Amyliz
Guide
Guide

I have an Arlo Pro above my door so the button not containing a camera wasn’t such an issue for me. I was wanting a smart bell button with a small footprint. A button with a cam would be much larger. I would be ok if this button could be even smaller. That’s the least of my issues with the device though. 

This button would be great if the features worked in the first place. My issue is that the AUDIO doesn’t really work on the AUDIO button.  My Arlo camera has louder audio output. Actually, the camera feed via the bell trigger doesn’t work all the time either, that could probably be fixed via firmware update. All the posts claim that engineering is working on these issues. Frankly, I think they need to go back to the drawing board with the whole doorbell system.  The only thing that works correctly is the speed of the phone call after the bell button is pushed. It’s as if they rushed the release for the gift giving season and did very little testing. I don’t know how the weak audio problem can be corrected via firmware update. My cameras have always been flawless and this doorbell is a mess. If the common issues listed throughout this forum are not corrected in the next few weeks I will be returning it and waiting for the next generation to be released.  Pay attention to your return window folks!! 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation