Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Could I use the AUDIO doorbell and link it to the VIDEO doorbell, and avoid buying the Home Base?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mark88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

By now, everybody has heard of GDPR privacy laws from Europe, so I'm sure everyone believes me if i say: In pretty much ALL of the EU, you can only place " video surveilance" in " NON common" areas.  Which means, the people living in VILLAS have no issues (their front door area is private. But!!!!  the remainder, say. 99% of the public who live in dense cities with mostly FLATS in it: all suffer under the Privacy laws. No video doorbell in common stair ways, or elevator lobbies, then! Such a shame. There are even youtube movies setting out "don't you even dare put video doorbells, or else.....!"

However, when all hope was lost, one day, i faced audio door bell. Fantastic, or so i thought. Until i found out, there's a requirement o buy a Home base. And ... more.  Because my plan was to not only buy the audio doorbell but ALSO put the (other) video doorbell right behind the Peep hole of the door. (which is something i can do with, anything i please, as long as it's INSIDE the house, in the inner door side, rather than the outside of the door). Sensors of the audio would take care of the audio part, and the video door bell would take care of the video part. And the peephole is only 15mm diameter, so that means that none of the "other sensors" of the video doorbell, would make it through the door,..... other than the lens. Which is fine. Because that's why we have an AUDIO door bell!!

HOWEVER:

when i started to add up the costs. Omg.

# audio doorbell+ homebase = around 160 usd

# video doorbell = around 150 usd

So we're already at DOUBLE the price, anybody else would pay a "Nest Hello Door bell" for.

And i then, we're faced with the subscription fees. On top.

I mean, doesn't anyone know if i could use the AUDIO doorbell and link it to the VIDEO doorbell, and avoid buying the Home base, for instance?

I'm trying to get to a reasonable investment amount. 300 usd and all that equipment, sounds ludicrous, for what i'm trying to achieve.

Hoping someone can help 🙂

1 REPLY 1
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Mark88,

To use the Arlo Audio Doorbell, it is required to have the Arlo Base Station/SmartHub; otherwise, you will not be able to connect it.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation