Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
G8R
Aspirant
Aspirant

bought Audio Doorbell (AADI001-100NAS) on 11/9/2018.

It has 3 positions for operating existing doorbell..

Positions 1 and 3 keep the doorbell activated. It is mechanical plunger that is held down. When the wires from house doorbell are touched togther, the plunger operates and strikes the bell.  When disconnected, the plunger is released.

Position 2 is prescribed location for that switch. However, in that position there is no connection made across two terminals on back of the button. When the doorbell put in position over the piece mounted to the wall, of course, the doorbell does not operate.

I received a "do not reply" email on 12/15/2018.

"Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We would like to inform you a new Case has been created and assigned it to our support team. An expert will review your query and respond to you as soon as possible.

Case Number - 40625243
Summary - Arlo Doorbell does not operate for Position 2
Case Created on - 12/15/2018

Questions are:
1. Is there an email address to which I can ask for an update on this case?
2. Is there a way the existing doorbel which I bought can be used?

Thank you for responding.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
G8R
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apolgies for being unable to post under Audio Doorbell (AADI001-100NAS) but it was not listed as an option on drop down menu.

I have discovered that for the Arlo Door Bell to work, the switch must be set to # 2 position, and, under "Customize",  the Silent Mode must not be checked.  On the app, the explanation for this option is "Calls and Chimes will be turned off."

I'm disappointed no one at Arlo asked me to try that first.

Others have provided some excellent thoughts about how to get their doorbell to work.

As mentioned on previous messages, I have a mechancally operated door bell which is activated by an electro magnetic when the circuit is completed by connecting the wires at the front door.  The old door bell was a push button which closed the connection between the two wires by pressing a button.  The voltage on this doorbell is 19.4 volts.  When the connection is made the electromagnet pushed or pulled a plunger against the bell, which then rings once.  The botton has to be released and pushed again to ring the bell again.

As you know, the Arlo Door Bell has two parts.  The Base part attaches to the wall or door jamb of your home.  The wiring from the existing door bell is connected to the back of the Base part.

The Push Button part attaches to the Base part.  The Push Button has two metal contacts on the back.  I found that the metal contacts on the back of the Push Button part are only connected to complete the circuit when the switch on the back of the Push Button is on # 2 position, and, under "Customize",  the Silent Mode is not checked.

I hope this was helpful and did not add to the confusion.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @G8R,

Are you still having problems with your Arlo Audio Doorbell? After reviewing your case, it looks like our support team has followed up with you but has not heard back from you. Feel free respond to the email or call them back so they can help you out further.

Euel
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can jumper the posts on the arlo doorbell and make my doorbell ring but it will not ring the bell when pushed in either position#2,#3 or 1.   It sends a message to my phone though.  Have i got a defective Arlo doorbell??

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @Euel,

Make sure that your existing chime is a mechanical or digital and operates at a voltage between 8 to 24 volts AC. You can read here to make sure you set up your Arlo Audio Doorbell to trigger your existing chime properly: How do I set up my Arlo Audio Doorbell to trigger my existing chime?

If you're still having problems, feel free to let me know.

sdarner
Aspirant
Aspirant

SString
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello JesicaP,

I am having the identical problem with this doorbell that was given to me as a Christmas present yesterday.  I have verified that the system is 20 VAC and reliably and correctly operates when the wires are switched/jumpered when the unit is not connected to the back-plate.  Just as the other customer, when the switch is in position 1 or postion 3 and the unit is placed on the back-plate, the soleniod for the mechanical bell is energized and held continuously; when the unit is removed from the back-plate the solenoid is de-energized.  When the switch is in postion 2 the unit does not complete the circuit when placed on the back plate and does not complete the circuit when the button is depressed.

I have validated the the unit has low resistance (less than 500 ohms) across the contacts in switch postion 1, and has medium resistance (less than 5k Ohms) in switch position 3.  In switch position 2 the unit has infinite resistance (open circuit).  This is true even when the button on the unit is pushed; i.e. it never closes and completes the circuit.  

Can you confirm if the unit is defective or if there is a solution to this problem?

FrankG_CT
Aspirant
Aspirant
SString,
I had the same issue today while hooking up my new Pro 2 cameras and doorbell. I first thought I had digital doorbell so went with 1 or 3. When I clicked the doorbell onto the back plate, my existing doorbell would ding, and then remain engaged. After many tries of changing this and changing that, ended up getting it to work by setting it to 2,
Then deleted the doorbell addon in the app, and reinstalling it. As soon as I did this, the doorbell worked and gave the good old ding dong. Hope this helps!
theb10n707
Guide
Guide

I had the same issue with my door bell. Everytime I latched the the door bell onto the mounting plate with the cables connected, I would hear the bell. I knew it was working, but maybe the Arlo door bell was not closing the circuit when I pressed the button. I kept pressing it, but no "ding dong" sound. 

I just skipped through the installation process and clicked on the door bell on the Arlo App. Then I noticed there was a "Traditional Chime" setting and I set it to connect I think. Then it started to work after that. I'm sure there is just a software bug with the installation process. 

SString
Aspirant
Aspirant

FrankG_CT and theb10n707,

Your input was helpful, thank you.  I removed the doorbell from the list of devices and re-installed as described but had the same issues.  I also went back into the app when the installation process was completed and noticed in the settings that the "traditional chime" option was not connected.  Changing this setting solved the issue. 

G8R
Aspirant
Aspirant

My apolgies for being unable to post under Audio Doorbell (AADI001-100NAS) but it was not listed as an option on drop down menu.

I have discovered that for the Arlo Door Bell to work, the switch must be set to # 2 position, and, under "Customize",  the Silent Mode must not be checked.  On the app, the explanation for this option is "Calls and Chimes will be turned off."

I'm disappointed no one at Arlo asked me to try that first.

Others have provided some excellent thoughts about how to get their doorbell to work.

As mentioned on previous messages, I have a mechancally operated door bell which is activated by an electro magnetic when the circuit is completed by connecting the wires at the front door.  The old door bell was a push button which closed the connection between the two wires by pressing a button.  The voltage on this doorbell is 19.4 volts.  When the connection is made the electromagnet pushed or pulled a plunger against the bell, which then rings once.  The botton has to be released and pushed again to ring the bell again.

As you know, the Arlo Door Bell has two parts.  The Base part attaches to the wall or door jamb of your home.  The wiring from the existing door bell is connected to the back of the Base part.

The Push Button part attaches to the Base part.  The Push Button has two metal contacts on the back.  I found that the metal contacts on the back of the Push Button part are only connected to complete the circuit when the switch on the back of the Push Button is on # 2 position, and, under "Customize",  the Silent Mode is not checked.

I hope this was helpful and did not add to the confusion.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation