Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
SecGuy
Guide
Guide

I have had the doorbell since Spring 2019 .  When first installed, the batteries last around 3 months using alkaline.    A few months ago the batteries started lasting 1 or 2 days.  At this point I started using eneloops (I know the voltage is lower and not recommended...however cost).    I turned off motion detection on the doorbell and the batteries lasted around 4 to 8 days.  I have since switched to normal alkaline and the batteries last a few days longer.         On feb 11, I installed fresh Duracell alkaline App indicated battery was at 94%.   Today , feb 18, the batteries are at 23%.

wifi signal has full bars.    Base is around 20-25 feet away.  The base has been rebooted multiple times. 

firmware is 1.2.0.0_309_283.   It indicates no updates are available. 

Hardware version 1.2

using existing house chime.  

Are others having similar issues with this?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SecGuy
Guide
Guide

My issue may be resolved.  After working with support resetting the doorbell, removing and re-adding, etc the new batteries still died within 48hours.    They replaced it under warranty.  It’s been up around 5 or 6 days now and battery has dropped 1% in that time.   So hopefully this continues.   

If I had known video doorbell was just around the corner, I would have waited.  Friend of mine has that and it’s more useful and no batteries.   I wish we could trade-in the audio doorbell for the video one. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try removing and resyncing the doorbell. No guarantees...

If that doesn't work, use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to invoke your warranty before it runs out.

KnowNo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. 1.2.0.0 is the firmware from Jan 2019.

I am not able to update either 😕

Do we know if accepting firmware updates will become a feature? Or rolling back? Or perhaps manually search for an update, [with a button, to trigger the app to check for updates, OR perhaps downloading updates on this site ...like most other digital consumer products allow for]
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't update because there is no update. Mine is at 1.2.0.0_309_283, which was last updated Aug. 8th (check the Firmware Release Notes section here).

Have you tried the reset process and/or contacting support?

aichele2
Initiate
Initiate

YES!!  We have done the same as you for the last 6 months.  At this point, buying batteries is expensive and replacing them is pointless when they will be dead in another day...  Now, we just don't use the doorbell.  Would love to hear what solutions are out there.

SecGuy
Guide
Guide

I opened a ticket with support on weekend for this.  I received email confirmation that it was received and I would receive response within 2 business days.  I haven’t heard from support yet.   Will update if there is a fix. 

I don’t understand why this was not designed to be powered by the original doorbell wires like the video doorbell does. 

PokeWadda
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have an open ticket trying to resolve this issue.

I am getting 4 to 5 days battery life.  The Base Station is only 4 metres/12 feet away. The Doorbell is right on the footpath so it gets maybe 1 or 2 people per hour walk past during the day, otherwise I usually don’t get visitors.

This is completely unacceptable for a brand new product.

I don’t need the sensor as I have the Doorbell paired with a Camera 

SecGuy
Guide
Guide
Glad to know i’m not only one with issue. Have you had a response to your ticket?

I opened mine last weekend. It’s 5 business days later and no response from them.

Seems more thought was put into the video doorbell. If I had known that it was coming out a little while later I would have waited. Maybe they should upgrade us it at least give full value of doorbell towards the video one.
SecGuy
Guide
Guide

Just an update.   I opened support case one week ago (feb 23) and have not been contacted by support.  I don’t see a way of check/updating status for the cases in support.  So I’ve opened a new ticket on Mar 1, referencing the previous one. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey SecGuy,

You mentioned you contacted the support team but you haven't heard back. Let me reach out to you via private message to gather more information from you.

aichele2
Initiate
Initiate

I have yet to be contacted also... Arlo Doorbell was purchased in December 2018.  Have it paired to Arlo Pro 2 camera.  Batteries in Doorbell CONSTANTLY go dead... would love to resolve issue.

SecGuy
Guide
Guide

Update:   Jessica contact me via direct message.   Support contacted me shortly after that. (thank-you Jessica)

while on call with support, We reset doorbell and removed it from base.  Re-added it.   Battery at 99%.  
By noon 2 days later, batteries were at 91%.  10 hours later at 0%.   So completely dead after 2.5 days.  
I’ve been trying to update support since then, but when I submit there are “page unavailable due to server error”.  So will try later. 

PokeWadda
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am in contact with Support but keep getting automated responses e.g. we recommend the following battery brands, when I've already told them I'm using a high quality battery.

Support has also recommended strategies that clearly relate to the Video Doorbell not the Audio model - so frustrating, current batteries just dies after 13 days 😞 

lisag8059
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am extremely unhappy with this product have the camera and the base and the audio doorbell cant get camera to go online no blinking blue light and have only had this since January batteries might be dead and doorbell shows only 20% maybe ring would have been a better choice

SecGuy
Guide
Guide

My issue may be resolved.  After working with support resetting the doorbell, removing and re-adding, etc the new batteries still died within 48hours.    They replaced it under warranty.  It’s been up around 5 or 6 days now and battery has dropped 1% in that time.   So hopefully this continues.   

If I had known video doorbell was just around the corner, I would have waited.  Friend of mine has that and it’s more useful and no batteries.   I wish we could trade-in the audio doorbell for the video one. 

skovero
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the exact same issue with fast dying batteries. It started after 10 months of use. The first set of batteries lasted 6 months, the second four and then only few days or a week at most. I even got my audio doorbell replaced, but it didn't fix the problem.
But now it seems that I have found a solution!
Last January I got a new wifi mesh system (Netgear Orbi). It helped to expand my home network, but apparently created a problem (dying batteries). With a wifi scanner
I found out that the Arlo base station kept switching to the same channel which was used by Orbi mesh system. And there is no way to change that manually. Every time I booted the mesh, it chose the best available channel and in a few hours the Arlo followed. Therefore I replaced the wifi units to make as much distance as possible to the base station. It worked. Now wifi and BOTH of my base stations are able to stay on separate channels. And what is the most important thing is that arlo doorbell batteries are lasting now, after 10 days still at 99%, which was the situation right after installing them..
So because this one worked for me, it might be useful for some others, too.
(I hope that my explanation is clear enough, since I'm not a native English speaker.. )
PokeWadda
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo has replaced my Doorbell and the Batteries in the new unit are performing well

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation