Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What’s the battery life for the Arlo doorbell under normal use?

111 REPLIES 111
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Usage is only part of the issue. The connection between the base and doorbell will also lead to issues if the signal is weak or being interfered with by other 2.4GHz devices. What signal strength do you have for the doorbell? Have you checked for other devices near the base or doorbell that could be interfering with the signal?

Panther6834
Star
Star
First, your claim that there's been no solutions posted is false. I've not only posted a solution (4 months ago), I gave step-by-step directions. Then, about a month shop, I reiterated the solution.

Second, I have to admit, I find this very strange. I have the 1.2 hardware, my doorbell had been installed for just under 4.5 months, and, using the solution I posted (which does NOT cause any problems, and does NOT cause any damage to the microphone, or any other part of the doorbell), my battery...my FIRST pair...is at 80%. If things hold up as they have, I should expect up to 20 months on one pair of batteries.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Update on hardware version 1.3 battery life:

2 months, still at 95% battery. In my opinion the motion sensor/glowing button is a nice feature.

timnelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I only get one to two weeks of use  per set of batteries

hbax450
Aspirant
Aspirant
Version 1.3 for me, and had to replace new batteries after only 2 months. Very low motion activity, good wifi signal.
dmar
Initiate
Initiate
Hello

Recently installed doorbell and having the same battery drain issues as everyone in this forums.

It is best that netgear allows users to disable the motion detection on doorbell.
timbrowning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Two months to go from 100% to 18%. Poor!

Firmware: 1.2.00_261_229
Hardware: 1.3

JLennon
Tutor
Tutor
The Duracell batteries ran out after three days what is the issue here is this product a dud. What to do, I have no existing bell and it’s unreal to change batteries every three days.
Kumfer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo support's current recommendation to use a specific brand of battery is a waste of time and money.  In my case I was getting 6 weeks out of my Amazon Basics batteries and was told to use Duracell instead.  Like the brand of battery is going to get me 10x performance to meet their 12 month life product claims?!?!  Anyway, to appease them I switched to Duracell and after 4 weeks the batteries are dead according to the Arlo Doorbell. 

Miller1
Guide
Guide
I’m 2 months on doorbell hardware 1.3 version and still have 95% battery.
Delid
Tutor
Tutor
So, I'm surprised that Arlo tech support is not steering you guys in the right direction. Changing to a different battery is not the solution. First you have to verify which doorbell version you have. The battery life problem is with version 1.2. Arlo will replace your 1.2 with version 1.3 for free if you contact Tech support. It's been over 3 months now and my battery life is still 96%.
Kumfer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Delid - Thx!  I agree that battery brand is not the issue but that's what support told me to do when I contacted them.  I have 1.2 hardware running 1.2.0.0_297_268 firmware (latest) and specifically requested 1.3 per comments in this forum but they told me it was not a hardware version issue.  

As a follow-up I did call support again this morning and they had me reset the doorbell and install new duracell batteries.  Since the firmware was already up to date I questioned them on how this might resolve the issue and received what amounted to let's keep our fingers crossed.  Probably a waste of 2 perfectly good batteries and another 4 weeks with this issue but they would not replace until it has been fully "troubeshooted".  Honestly it seems to me like they still don't have a root cause so they're avoiding replacement costs until they figure it out. 

Panther6834
Star
Star
First, a comment...then an update.

COMMENT:
Like others have said, changing batteries is NOT a solution. One alkaline battery is the same as another. Additionally, removing the doorbell from the system, and then reconnecting, is also NOT a solution. While distance from the base unit can (possibly) affect battery power draw, it wouldn't cause it to the extreme reported, this that is also not a cause. That leaves ONLY the hardware and/or firmware as the cause. Since those with 1.2 & 1.3 hardware have reported running the same firmware, and (for the most part) only those with 1.2 hardware are reporting the problem, the problem must, for the most part, be with the hardware (I say "for the most part" because a few people with 1.3 hardware have reported excessive battery drain, albeit not to the same extent as the 1.2 hardware).

UPDATE:
When I installed the Arlo Doorbell (early Nov or Dec...I didn't which), with a 'new' battery, the app indicated 99%. After testing, it showed 97%. After being gone for 5-6 days, it showed 91%. That's when I came up with the idea of covering the sensor, and I thought all would be ok. From that point, up their two weeks ago, it dropped to 78%. Considering it only dropped 13% over a 3.5 month period, I believed I has resolved the "problem"...although, I should mention that, in that time period, the doorbell was only pressed twice. However...and this is a BIG "however"...in the past two weeks, things changed dramatically.

Now, I'm still using the 1.2 hardware, as I had believed I had resolved the problem, using my electrical tape idea. However, over the part 2 weeks, the doorbell had been pressed three times, and battery level has dropped excessively, from 78%, down to 53%...that's a 25% drop in two weeks...so I called Arlo Support. The person I initially spoke with was argumentative, telling me I needed to go through all the troubleshooting steps, even tho I clearly indicated I had already done so. He even attempted to "explain" that a 46% battery drop over a 4.5 month period wasn't 'excessive'. I them repeated that, while (maybe) that isn't 'excessive', a 25% drop over two weeks IS excessive. When I requested to be transferred to a supervisor, he initially refused, still trying to convince me that there wasn't any excessive battery drain. When I asked for a supervisor again, he placed me on hold for close to 5 minutes (this, after already having been in the phone with him for approx 25 minutes). After 5 minutes ago he came back on the line, only to tell me it would be another 5 minutes. I explained that I didn't have the time, as I was expecting my client to come out within the next 5 minutes, and that I'd have to call back. Even getting him to provide me the ticket number over the phone was a problem (I had to ask him the times, before he finally complied).

After dropping my client off, I called back, ended up speaking to someone else, and this person was very helpful. After explaining the troubleshooting steps I had done, as well as the "25% battery drop in 2 weeks", he immediately set forth the replacement, for the 1.3 hardware. If all goes as I was told, I should have the replacement working 10 days. I will update once I've installed the 1.3 hardware, and have had it running for 1-2 months.
Delid
Tutor
Tutor
Kumfer, sorry you're getting the run around. I guess it depends on who you speak to apparently. The person I spoke to was aware of the issue and didn't hesitate to agree with me that I needed ver 1.3. You must be getting newbie tech support on the line. But make no mistake hardware change to 1.3 will fix it. Think you need to put your foot down and demand the new replacement or escalate to a supervisor.
chanweikeng
Tutor
Tutor
I just got it 3 weeks ago and I have had to change out the batteries every week. I'm regretting buying it as a bundle at least if I bought it separately I could return it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There may be more than a v1.2 vs. v1.3 issue. I have a 1.2 and it works fine. Maybe the original issue is that some v1.2 doorbells had an issue that simply replacing them helped - it's happened before.

lnkaye
Star
Star
I have a 1.2 and since installing Lithium phosphate batteries back in Nov., it's at 98%. It does get used for motion detection many times a day. Seriously, try them. They're better in the cold temps and that's why I think mine lasted through the winter.
Delid
Tutor
Tutor
Well ok. I guess working fine is relative. Make no mistake all v1.2 has at least 2 issues. Low volume and shorter battery life. Some people are just more tolerant so it may be fine for you and not for others. I along with many others realize the louder speaker volume with v1.3. The battery life may take a while to manifest and increasingly get worse. If you can live with that, cool. But if you can get v1.3 replacement for free, why not.
mshet1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've found that if there is any disruption in local arlo network, the doorbell battery drains in no time. It must be searching for a connection. My arlo network will go down occassionally, I'm assuming due to interference with home wifi network.

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

My batteries lasted 6 months.  I had to replace them this week, as they showed 10% and I got an email saying the batteries were low.  Now after the change they still show at 10%, I have re-booted and powered down hub but the batetry % will not update.  I guess I will have to remove it and re-sync.  

Since I am goign to have to do the re-sync for the battery.  I am also goign to move the basestation close to the doorbell to see if it fixes the low volume issue.  I am pretty confident it will not fix the issue, but when I called before the support person I spoke to wanetd me to try both re-sysncing and moving the basestation before they would consider sending me a new unit.   It's not been a high priority.  Hopefully I can get to it this week.

hbax450
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. In fact, after replacing batteries that read at 0% (with no low battery notification), the batteries still tested at about 75% using an external tester. Ridiculously disappointing that the device can’t use the power coming from the existing doorbell power.

I got all excited when I learned about Arlo’s intention to introduce home security sensors later this year, but after my poor experience with the doorbell, I won’t consider Arlo.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Update on version 1.3 battery life:

3 months, still at 91% battery life.

I’m pleased, much better than I expected.
Panther6834
Star
Star
I should know soon enough...received the 1.3 hardware today. Will install it tonight (and prep the 1.2 for return), using brand-new Duracell batteries.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My v1.2 is still at 99%...

Panther6834
Star
Star

Well, the replacement is hardware v1.3.  Won't know how the battery will hold up for a few weeks...but now there's another problem.  We're not using any Arlo Chime, but, are, instead, using the mechanical chime that was part of the original doorbell.  With the v1.2 Arlo Doorbell, the mechanical chime functioned without any problem...however, with the v1.3, the chime isn't functioning at all.  In testing, I hear the tone from the doorbell's speakers, and I receive the "doorbell" notification on my phone (along with the visual, provided by the camera pointed at the front door), but there’s no sound coming from the mechanical chime…and, yes, the switch is in ‘position 2’, as it’s supposed to be.  At the same time, I have tested it in all three positions, and nothing helps.

I will say that, when placed in ‘position 3’, upon sliding the doorbell into the backing plate, I do hear (from the mechanical chime) a single ‘tone’ (sounds like the “dong” portion of the “ding-dong” sound), thus I know there’s no problem with the chime, itself.  However, when switching it back into ‘position 2’, or even ‘position 1’, there’s no ‘tone’ when I slide the unit back onto the backing plate.  I should mention that the chime ALWAYS functioned when using the v1.2 doorbell.  Anyone have any ideas, since tech support has, so far, been completely clueless.

Discussion stats