Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What’s the battery life for the Arlo doorbell under normal use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
motokochan
Star
Star

The documentation cites about 1 year average life. It uses 2 AA batteries.

View solution in original post

111 REPLIES 111
motokochan
Star
Star

The documentation cites about 1 year average life. It uses 2 AA batteries.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks!

briankfree
Guide
Guide

I will note that I installed my Arlo Doorbell 5 days ago.  The unit came with Duracell batteries. I installed them and it was reporting 100%.  After a bit of testing it reported 95%. I wrote it off as perhaps some older batteries.  However, a couple days later i noticed it down to 65%.  Today, the 5th day later, its reporting 35%.  I dont quite understand why this would be draining so fast. If this continues there is no way this product will be useful to me as the cost of AA batteries will exceed the device itself. I do have motion control turned on to trigger my Camera, but i'm only getting a couple clips a day so i dont think its the motion draining them.  

Anyone else notice this or can report their battery life?

20181026_190241023_iOS.png

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I’m at 95% after one day, I’ll let you know. Was 100 when I installed yesterday. I have the arlo chime, no traditional wired chimes.
briankfree
Guide
Guide

I do have traditional wired chimes tied into it.  It rings them just fine, but i'm wondering if it isnt causing some kind of issues with the AA batteries in the unit. Its too bad they didnt just allow it to also be powered by the existing doorbell wires as an option.  I'd be curious what the next few days bring for you.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
So you answered my other posting with this reply. So with a wired connection to traditional chimes the aa batteries must be used. Odd design.
motokochan
Star
Star

Installed Sunday night, just checked today (Friday) and it's reporting 98%. My doorbell faces sideways from the street, so it might be better protected from motion.

Last I looked, traditional doorbells run on AC power (usually 16VAC @ 10VA). The unit would probably need a converter to run the onboard electronics, as those are DC-powered.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hopefully aa batteries last a long time. If not, I might wire in leads from this....3 Volt 1.5 Amp Power Adapter, AC to DC, 2.1mm X 5.5mm Plug, Regulated UL 3v 1.5a Power Supply Wall Plug https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006QYQ0MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Za70BbRVQHXR7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget the signal strength/quality between the doorbell and base. Poor signal will cause battery depletion.

briankfree
Guide
Guide

Yeah. I have two base stations for added coverage. But in the case of my doorbell, its about 12 ft away from the nearest base station. I was still at 35% today, which is good to see, but i'm still wondering how and where the other +60% went as it has now been the 7th day.

RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
5 days use so far, still at 95%.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Spoke too soon. 5 days, 90%.
Concerned.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
9 days, 90%
RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice
One of the biggest drains of battery appears to be the LED ring. If for some reason it remains lit, the battery will drain pretty quickly. My sensor trips at about 3 feet.
Daze
Aspirant
Aspirant
Need help!
I’m tryin to connect to my existing digitel chime (set toggle to 1) as instructed. When wired the bell doesn’t light or work (no Batteies installed). When I remove wire and use batteries the bell lights up and works just fine. Tested voltage (22V). Manuel reads doorbell will work between 8 to 24 volts. I’m going to try to leave the batteries in with it wired but Manuel doesn’t state that. Only one having this issue?
motokochan
Star
Star

The batteries are required for the doorbell to work. They must be installed, even if you hook up to the existing wires for a chime.

RichLevow
Apprentice
Apprentice

The omission about the need for the batteries to be installed is significant.  As mentioned, you MUST have them installed for the existing digital chime to work.  Just make sure that once you release the button that the chime does not remain energized.  I personally like the Arlo Chime better than my existing mechanical one. 

redcbx78
Tutor
Tutor

Well I have had my Arlo Doorbell installed since Nov 8. Today I received a notice that my batteries are tired. Less than 25% left. In less than one week I will have to replace the batteries. Not what I was expecting. To top it off the button is a kind of hard to depress. I might just return it for a new one and have my fingers crossed I got a dud.

@Retired_Member wrote:

What’s the battery life for the Arlo doorbell under normal use?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's the WiFi signal strength for the doorbell? Where do you have it mounted (on what surface)? What is the exterior wall construction?

redcbx78
Tutor
Tutor

I have a Google mesh network. the signal strength is two out of 3 "bars" The door bell is mounted just outside our front door where the old door bell was located. Standard wood frame house - single story. Exterior wall is wood frame with what is called hardi plank siding. 

@jguerdat wrote:

What's the WiFi signal strength for the doorbell? Where do you have it mounted (on what surface)? What is the exterior wall construction?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Note that your home WiFi has no bearing unless it's interfering with the base/doorbell signal. Try moving the base away from the router or otherwise reposition it to see if that helps.

Also, make sure all firmware is up to date.

briankfree
Guide
Guide
This was my exact issue as well. My batteries lasted about 9 days. I had a few days left to return it before my window was up so I did just that. I can’t say for certain what was causing the battery drain. The WiFi signal should have been great I have an access point nearby. There also wasn’t much motion going on in front as my road in front rarely had cars go by and it was 60’-70’ feet away. I may wait until a gen 2 comes out, hopefully hard wired with a camera. Just to note, I have 7 Alro Cameras and 2 lights and sadly I’m disappointed as my other products work really well. For now I am using a Nest Hello and it has been working very well.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, your home WiFi has no bearing. It's possible that that nearby access point was interfering with the base/doorbell signal.

briankfree
Guide
Guide

I realized that after I mentioned it, but I do have 2 base stations and one of them happens to be within 10ft of the doorbell.  

Discussion stats