Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JungleBrizl
Follower
Follower

Hi. apologies if this topic has already been done to death but I’m beginning to doubt that the Audio Doorbell will work for me. 

We live on a fairly busy road, with the doorbell mounted on our gate and this seems to cause two problems:

1. the audio on the doorbell is next to useless. A caller cannot hear us speaking, nor can we hear a caller’s voice over the traffic 

2. the ring light on the doorbell is nearly constantly on, indicating that the doorbell is detecting motion even though it’s only picking up vehicles. This means we are going through batteries at the rate of a pair every two weeks or less. 

Has anyone got any suggestions please? I’ve turned off motion triggered alerts in the app but that hasn’t helped. To be honest, if the battery life issue could be resolved, I could probably live without the ‘intercom’ functionality….

many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JungleBrizl wrote:

1. the audio on the doorbell is next to useless. A caller cannot hear us speaking, nor can we hear a caller’s voice over the traffic 

Have you maxed the audio volume in the doorbell settings?  What phone are you using?

@JungleBrizl wrote:

2. the ring light on the doorbell is nearly constantly on, indicating that the doorbell is detecting motion even though it’s only picking up vehicles. This means we are going through batteries at the rate of a pair every two weeks or less. 

Is the doorbell paired with a camera? 

You could try changing the motion sensitivity in the rules (https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them).  

JohnHeisenberg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Probably too late to contribute to this, but I've been battling the same issues since September also. Support have suggested many non-existent options, but I have come to the same conclusion; there is no way to turn off motion detection (only notifications) so the ring is continually lighting up and draining the battery. I couldn't get a set of batteries to last longer than 10 days.

Three weeks ago, I applied a strip of black electrical tape to the lower segment of the doorbell (it can be cut in quite neatly with a crafting knife) and the doorbell no longer detects motion. I changed the batteries at the same time and they are now still at 99%.

Appalling to have to do this to achieve something that should be in configuration but at least the doorbell works as a doorbell now. The two way conversation is still useless.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation