Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell Doesn't Display Video From Paired Camera After Answering Call

greengreenleaf
Initiate
Initiate

I've setup my Arlo Pro 2 base station, (x2) Arlo Pro 2 cameras and Arlo Pro Doorbell (Model: AAD1001, Firmware:1.2.0.0_275_250). The cameras detect motion and record video as expected but I am unable to see video after answering a call from the Doorbell on my iPhone X. I have tried resetting the Doorbell, pairing and unpairing the Doorbell with the 2 cameras and still only see a progress icon where the video should be displayed. If I look in the library after answering the call from the Doorbell there is only audio and no video. Not sure what I am missing. 

IMG_3052.pngIMG_3053.pngIMG_3054.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello everyone,

The latest release of the IOS App 2.7.12 addresses the issue being discussed here. For more information, take a look at the following release notes and be sure your app is up to date with the latest version: Arlo iOS App - 2.7.12 - 16th July 2019

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146
dude15
Tutor
Tutor

When answering the doorbell call on the mobile phone the video from the paired camera only shows a "gray screen". The camera itself is working in the arlo app. Any ideas?

Mando369
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m also having the same issue. If I figure it out I will get back at you.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Upon getting the call, the screen is gray. Answering the call should then produce a live video from the camera associated wit the doorbell. Do you have a camera paired with the doorbell?

Mando369
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do. I have an Arlo pro camera paired with my doorbell. I just tried it out, but no luck. Gray screen only.
Mando369
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, my wife has an android phone and she was able to get the video going. It might be an iPhone issue since it wouldn’t work on my iphone.
dude15
Tutor
Tutor

I also have it paired but still just get the gray screen with the "spinning icon"  in the center as if its trying to get the video but is unable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

For those having issues, what phone and OS?

dude15
Tutor
Tutor
iPhone 7 and 7 plus using IOS 12.1
Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue, on both my wife's and my phone.  We both have IPhone 6s with IOS 12

Today when coming in from the front yard I tried the doorbell.  My wife and I both got the call and the Arlo chime sounded, she answered and I was able to speak to her, but she had no video.  I later went back and was able to watch the exchange from the camera.   The video starts about 10 seconds before I push the doorbell as the camera started recording on motion. By the time she answered and came to the door it was about 45 seconds into the video.  She ends the call probably 15 seconds after that.   The video then records for close to another 2 minutes..

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am actually using IOS 12.1. Can you edit a post in this forum, I could not find that option

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

The postman delivered a package this morning and the doorbell worked great.  I had video as well as audio.  Tried several times yesterday and it never would work, not sure what changed.  

From the time he rang the doorbell until you hear me say something was 20 seconds.  Definitely acceptable..

StevenL
Star
Star

I had the same problem on a Samsung Galaxy S8.  After I installed the doorbell, I rang it a few times and it called my phone each time, but would only display the video once. I should note it didn't display the spinning circle.  It showed a green box where the video should have been, and never did load the video.

hightechburrito
Guide
Guide

Same issue here. It does work if I’m not on the same WiFi network the base station is hooked up to (if phone is on LTE, I get video).

Haven’t tried on a different WiFi network yet.

greengreenleaf
Initiate
Initiate

Wow, thanks for the reply.  Well I tested having my phone on LTE and now the video always works. I spoke with customer support and they said that I needed to update my firmware on my Orbi (Netgear) router, which is already up to date. Looks like I'll be returning my Arlo system. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

hightechburrito
Guide
Guide

Looking forward to more information.  I just tried it from another wifi network and it didn't work there either.  I was able to stream live video on the same network, so I don't think it's the network putting some restrictions on bandwidth.

Lokie
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem for me. The video does not show when the doorbell rings, just an empty screen. Tried installing and resetting the bell but no improvement. C’mon Arlo do your job. Get it working correctly and test it. These devices are expensive and are obviously not tested properly before going on sale.

Rotorhead775
Guide
Guide
Same here. 50/50 on whether it works. On 2 systems. Mine and family members. On 4 different phones. Router is updated. Even tried putting the doorbell chime and camera on it’s own hub. Tried with 3 separate arlo pro 2 cameras and 2 original arlos. This is on iPhone X, XR, 7 plus and 8. All on iOS 11-12.1.1 same results. Really Arlo? $200+ worth of hardware plus an elite subscription? What are we paying you for?? $70 Samsung SmartCam works flawlessly. Get it together. And before you tell us all to update our routers firmware, I’ve tried it directly to the internet, router free, on a 300 meg symmetrical fiber optic connection. Same results. And I have a CCNA. So pretty sure I know it’s not our networks!!! WiFi, LTE, 2ghz, 5ghz. Doesn’t matter., it’s not working.
mzlajevardi
Initiate
Initiate

I have installed an Arlo doorbell and paired it with an Arlo Pro 2 camera. The problem is when someone rings the door bell, I get a call on my phone but don't get any video of the person behind the door. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks - mzlajevardi

couch000
Initiate
Initiate

Mine does not work either.  Any update on this from Arlo?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you happen to have a screenshot of what the video looks like when viewing? 

pascaldormal
Tutor
Tutor

We all seem to have the same issue and the screen looks like the grey square in the original post. Mine works on 4G/LTS and not on WIFI. 

couch000
Initiate
Initiate
Here’s what mine looks like.
mzlajevardi
Initiate
Initiate
A photo is attached