Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why Arlo corrupted 3 new memory sticks when I’m saving videos to my local base?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
BocaRaton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why Arlo corrupted 3 new memory sticks when I’m saving videos to my local base?

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's possible you did it to yourself if you didn't use the app to safely eject the drives. The base could be faulty but I'd be looking at other possibilities, too.

BocaRaton
Aspirant
Aspirant

You think I’m stupid. It works for 2 months for each memory stick. I had to format again the stick. Then nothing after that. Base doesn’t even see there’s stick plugged in 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, I didn't say that. However, you didn't seem to attempt to do anything to troubleshoot the issue other than to throw drives at it.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BocaRaton wrote:

It works for 2 months for each memory stick. I had to format again the stick. Then nothing after that. Base doesn’t even see there’s stick plugged in 

Can the PC access the sticks after you reformat them?

What base do you have?

Are you reformatting the sticks in the base?  Or are you doing that in a PC?  

Note there are a lot of "fake" USB drives that don't have the capacity that they claim.  Some appear to be mainstream brands.  There is a tool that should detect if that is a problem in your case.  Here's a reference:

BocaRaton
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hope that 1 terabytes is enough memory. Because before falling I saw 80% was still free. 
Reformatting was done with the base.
And the Mac sees it and can not read it nor format it 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BocaRaton wrote:

I hope that 1 terabytes is enough memory. 

128 GB is actually more than enough for me - generally I suggest 128-256 GB.

I suggest trying a smaller stick (but over 16 GB).  Get a name brand, and purchase it from manufacturer's storefront.

BocaRaton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you but this doesn’t answer the question. Why the memory stick is useless? Write protected ? If you can’t manage more than few GB. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BocaRaton wrote:

Thank you but this doesn’t answer the question. Why the memory stick is useless?

As I said earlier, there are a lot of scam usb sticks out there - especially with the bigger sizes.   So it is quite possible that you got some.  Can you post link(s) to what you purchased?

The scams don't have the capacity they claim, and misbehave as they fill up.

BocaRaton
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, let’s test this theory with SanDisk 64 GB. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BocaRaton wrote:

Okay, let’s test this theory with SanDisk 64 GB. 

Sounds like a good test, please post back with the results.