Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Several Newbie Questions

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Newbie2024
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I have a house in the Whitsundays region and I plan to install at least one external camera asap. My neighbour has one or more of your cameras which he is pleased with. The electric/power is on but I don't currently have internet set up for the house (and nor do I need it here for general use).

What Arlo model do you recommend? Can you recommend anyone to install? Can I just buy & maintain a phone SIM to relay images, or do I have to set up a whole residential internet system as well as a phone SIM?

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Newbie2024 wrote:

Hi. I have a house in the Whitsundays region and I plan to install at least one external camera asap. My neighbour has one or more of your cameras which he is pleased with. The electric/power is on but I don't currently have internet set up for the house (and nor do I need it here for general use).

Most Arlo cameras require home internet service.

The only one that doesn't is the Arlo Go 2, which has a SIM card - it would need both a mobile data plan and an Arlo Secure subscription.   This is a user forum (and I don't work for Arlo).  So I don't know if there will be any issues with using the camera with your mobile provider

The Go 2 uses LTE, so you should make sure you get good mobile data speeds at the home.  You need at least 1 mbps upload speed for each camera.

Battery life might be an issue - you could add the Arlo solar panel or the outdoor charger.

Newbie2024
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The Whitsundays has had slow and unreliable internet cover since whenever. It may have changed recently but I wouldn't bet on it. 

Cheers