Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

My 5-year-old Arlo 2 has stopped working. (Its brother cam, installed at the same time, works fine.) I've connected it to power as I always have so it's had sufficient time to charge. When I connect, the blue light comes on for a couple seconds, then blacks out. I've tried removing/reinstalling the battery, no change. Do these cams just die? I mean, nothing lasts forever, but is 5 year a reasonable life span for these?

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be the camera, could be the battery. Swap batteries around to see what happens.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bought a new battery ($21) and more or less same result: the pilot light flashes alternating orange and blue but never succeeds in pairing with the base or app. Assuming  dead (5-year-old) cam?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, I agree it's dead.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo was my introduction to personal security cams. In the 5 years I owned a pair, I watched as the company was sold, and as customer service deteriorated, as "end of life" became a way of life for Arlo owners, as complexity replaced facility. I popped a couple of Ring cams in place over the weekend and it couldn't have gone easier. Have I traded mismanagement by disinterested shareholders for an evil overlord-controlled megalith? Sure, but the damned things work. I'll let my remaining Arlo cam cruise till it, too, runs out of fuel and crashes, like its sibling, and hope for return to a world in which we never needed them in the first place, even though I know that'll never happen.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Couldn't agree more with what you said. 

However, not sure your cam is dead. If it were dead, it'd not power on.

Have tried a reset? If so, and there's no improvement, I'd leave the cam without a power source for a couple of hours and try again.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've held the Sync button down for 1`5+ seconds several times, as per Arlo. No reponse. Any other method for this? Thanks.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As I explained above: remove all sources of power (battery, power cord) for some time (I sometimes do that for a day or so) and try again.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

Did exactly that several times, as well, over the course of nearly a week. No response. It may be, as per Monty Python, a former parrot. Cheers.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation