Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

94 REPLIES 94
PatriceF1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like many of your customers I bought an Arlo camera Generation 2 but leaving outside US. The limitation is not clearly documented / visible when buying devices and now we can’t use them. Glad to hear that Arlo is working on it but please make your management aware that it needs to be prioritised asap. Can we know why this restriction been made especially knowing that you have customers all around the world ? Looking forward to hear from you.

CoopersPC
Initiate
Initiate
any update?
Tjhastings
Star
Star
Is there any news on BBC when the update for compatibility with gen 2 cameras with Arlo hubs and HomeKit
whatapulaver
Initiate
Initiate

I would also like to know when this will be possible.

I bought this camera so as to be able to see footage WITHOUT a subscription... Like my 2 other indoor ARLO cameras.

I find it infuriating that you sell cameras with different behaviours. Indoor cameras that can be connected to a hub, and outdoor cameras that can't! 

The point of being able to connect to a hub is so that you can record content locally without having to have another subscription!

hoppy1975
Guide
Guide

Any date yet for the firmware update ?

Oggiee
Tutor
Tutor

I recently purchased from arlo, four Essential Outdoor 2nd Gen cameras. Everything I researched on arlo stated that my arlo hub/base station VMB4000  would work  with these cameras. Now I find out that they will only connect via wifi and not connect to my VMB4000. You keep saying a firmware update is coming. I would like to keep them if they are going to work as advertised. However I have 30 days to return them. I guess I can return them and re-order when and if there is an update. I like having all my cameras on local storage.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I do not have a date available for the firmware release that will allow 2nd generation Arlo devices to connect to Base Stations and SmartHubs. Once I have more information to share, I will provide an update here on the community.

JamesC

Steask
Initiate
Initiate

I am very disappointed, I have bought two Essential 2nd gen. I check and it should be compatible with my hub. But it was not 2.nd gen!!! Have you any idea when this will be implemented? ( 1 mount 5 years?). 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

The very last reply to this thread answered your question. 

"I do not have a date available for the firmware release that will allow 2nd generation Arlo devices to connect to Base Stations and SmartHubs. Once I have more information to share, I will provide an update here on the community"

Buthadou
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is helpful, Thanks for sharing this.

esko79
Tutor
Tutor

Any news on when the 2. Gen Will be able to connect to the base station?

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Still no update on the base station and HomeKit integration ?

hoppy1975
Guide
Guide

they don't want to update as then you can cancel subscription 

hoppy1975
Guide
Guide

they don't want to update as then you can cancel subscription 

shill_ds
Tutor
Tutor

Likely never. Support convinced me to keep my smart hub, as the update was coming "soon" when I tried to return it. It's probably never coming as we are five months from my purchase. Makes sense that it wouldn't as they don't have a financial incentive to do so because they want you to pay a monthly sub to use their cloud service and keep you roped in indefinitely. Shareholders gotta shareholder. 

Steask
Initiate
Initiate

It is so arrogant. They dont tell in manual or elsewhere you recognize when its to late. So bad 🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁

dezmangos
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, @JamesC, I'm waiting for the update for vmc2050 work together with Pro SmartHub VMB4540. I bought my hub from amazon.de a month ago and there was written that both are compatible. Shame on yo@JamesC

I will not pay for subscription, NEVER. Buying another brands camera that records and show to everyone that I'm throwing away your garbage worth the price. Tell this to your marketing team. 

lprdshrk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same paper weight. I found this, but I don't see the option to link to my hub, only to the wi-fi. https://www.arlo.com/en_be/support/faq/000062420/Can-I-connect-my-Arlo-Essential-wire-free-camera-to...

shill_ds
Tutor
Tutor

It’s literally lie after lie. And false advertising from their own website. I hope someone files a class action. 

kb9hgi
Guide
Guide

Arlo get ready for a lawsuit because on your website it does say these Essential outdoor cameras will work on a hub. That is a false AD!