Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

85 REPLIES 85
JoAnneNabors
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply!

The router is right inside the glass door near the camera (6' max).  House is wooden shiplap siding with 2x4 frame construction.  I don't think the wireless connection is the issue.

I have not seen that the solar panel helps, so I bring inside in the a. m. to charge with power cable.

Usage is probably the issue, since less than 5 min a day would mean only 1 motion event.

I wish I could have it only record "person" and not "vehicle", but I ready it records everything and sends to the cloud, and it only pushes selected notifications to me, although I can't figure out where to change that.

I like the cameras and was going to purchase more, but I don't want to mount them outside until I know I can leave them in place and not have to bring inside to charge.

Oh, I have a metal roof. Would that somehow drain the battery or interfere somehow?  The camera is currently hung on a magnet under the porch roof, not above it.

Thanks again! 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JoAnneNabors,

How much activity are the cameras seeing?

JamesC

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

When will this be available in the UK?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ProChris20,

I don't have any new information to share at this time. Keep an eye on https://www.arlo.com/en_eu/home for updates and announcements about product availability.

JamesC

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Any update on Arlo hub compatibility and home kit ? @JamesC 

JoAnneNabors
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought charging cables for 2 of them and working as expected now.  It's still an upgrade from my previous cameras because I had to change the batteries when they got low. 

Jalvarez
Aspirant
Aspirant

Habrá alguna actualización de software de la aplicación arlo para poder configurar la cámara essential outdoor de 2da generación en México?

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Any update on smart base compatibility and HomeKit @JamesC 

ProChris20
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any news about when the new Essential 2nd Gen will be released in other countries?

Nicholasau
Aspirant
Aspirant

We purchased two 2nd gen Essential cameras (VMC3050-100AUS) from JB HiFi (Melbourne, Australia) to connect to an existing base station (VMB4000). The salesperson said that these cameras can connect to our base station. After much frustration trying to connect the cameras, I see that the cameras can't connect to the base station atm. Might be a good idea to highlight this with retailers and on the website.

I tried to connect the cameras directly via WIFI, but I can't do so as the Arlo account is set up for France as the location (where we have a house and have Arlo cameras active) and since the product is not yet available for sale in France, you can't set it up via the app. Absurd! Talk about making things difficult.

I guess the only solution is to take the cameras back to JB Hifi. Will look at other camera brands.

naturalbodz
Initiate
Initiate

Same deal. We purchased an additional camera a 2nd General Essential 2K to add to our base station. It did state that the camera could be connected to the base station we have. Upon trying it will not connect, only connects to our wifi home network!

This company needs to get their act together and be clear on what cameras will work with the various base stations. Save people the time of taking the stuff back. This is just an attempt to pull more subscriptions, plain and simple. As a simple update would fix the issue and make them compatible.

I am seriously just thinking of scrapping the two cameras and base station we have an getting a proper system where everything works and you can access without a subscription. It becomes painstaking dealing with stuff like this all the time.

ScCtSc
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC.   It seems the camera ‘locks’ into the bracket.  Are you suggesting it ‘unlocks’ from the base?   Because if that is not the case, then it can’t be removed.  The link provided and video does not show the camera being removed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ScCtSc,

Yes. When securing the mount, you slide it down on to the mounting plate. To remove, you slide the mount up off of the mounting plate. While this does take some force, the mount will release from the plate and allow the camera to be removed.

JamesC

RODOLFOCU
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a problem setting up my new arlo 2nd generation essential indoor camera, Im from latin America (Ecuador) and you haven’t updated the app for my region on de Apple Store, I wonder if you know when it will be released. 😥

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RODOLFOCU,

We do plan to expand the regions in which 2nd generation devices are support but I do not have any information at this time on when this will happen.

Keep an eye on arlo.com and here on the community for announcements.

JamesC

vimalzubaa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to use the more reliable networking plus USB option for storage of the base station.

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Has there been an update on smart base compatibility and HomeKit for the 2nd gen essential cameras @JamesC 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tjhastings,

No. 2nd Generation devices are not compatible with base stations/smart hubs or Apple Home at this time. We will post an announcement once the firmware is available for these compatibilities.

JamesC

Constant123
Star
Star

Appears the 2nd gen Essential is compatible only with Cloud Subscription.  $100 per year if you have single camera.   

Constant123
Star
Star

That's not a country.

Constant123
Star
Star

Wow, why the hostility ?

AlexAz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am based in Brazil and I bought two Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation in a Best Buy store in LA this week. 

At that time I asked to the sales person in this store: can I use in Brazil? He said yes. I also mentioned that I have a previous version with a Smart Hub + three Arlo Cameras. He said, no problem, you don't need the smart hub for these ones, they connect directly to your router, just tap Add Device in your Arlo App and follow the instructions.

My app is updated, but I can't see the Arlo Essential 2nd Generation as an option to add anb I can't conclude the installation.

I see that you have just responded to a person, who was from Brazil and now lives in Florida, suggesting to create a new account located in the USA.

So I ask: can I use my Arlo Essential 2nd Generation in Brazil or only if I create a new account with a US address? By doing this, will my older ones still work?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

AlexAz,

Arlo Essential 2nd generation devices are not available for onboarding in all regions. If you're currently located in Brazil, it is expected that the devices will not show up in the onboarding list at this time. I do not have an ETA for when 2nd generation devices will be available in your region but we do plan to expand in the future. Please stay tuned for an announcement.

JamesC

VintageBrew
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 Pro 3 cameras and 1 Pro 4 camera that connect to my Base Station. I added an Essentials Outdoor Camera as part of 3-pack and now I am not getting any recordings or motion detection alerts. 

Does this have something to do with adding the Essential Outdoor Camera to the mix and now the "system" and Base Station won't push notifications or do recordings? 

Joeno
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought the same thing. The mount does not look adjustable, but it is. It looks like a one piece stick mount but it is a ball swivel. Once you attach it to the camera, you will be able to move it.