Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video stream stops updating on Alexa devices

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jsh001
Aspirant
Aspirant

When viewed on an Alexa device, whether a new Amazon Echo Show 5 (3rd gen) or an older Meta Portal, the stream from my Arlo Essential Indoor camera starts ok, but after a while stops updating (with no indication that it has stopped). Is there any way I can get it to stream continuously (or at least tell me when it stops updating)?

5 REPLIES 5
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jsh001 How long does the stream last before it stops playing? 

jsh001
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne,

I timed it today. It freezes after 30 minutes

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jsh001 wrote:

It freezes after 30 minutes

That is by design, the Arlo app and my.arlo.com also time out after about 30 minutes. The only Arlo camera that doesn't act this way is the legacy Arlo Baby.

Personally I think that AC powered cameras should not have this timeout when doing local streaming.

jsh001
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB

I agree - the 30 minute limit makes the camera pretty much unfit for purpose for me, and I suspect many users. It would be acceptable (although still annoying) if there were any indication that the video stream had stopped, but on Alexa devices at least there is no indication at all, leaving the viewer thinking nothing is happening when there could actually be anything happening.

If Arlo Pro 5 cameras have the same limit, that has just stopped my plan to set up Arlo Pro 5 cameras both inside and outside the house. Back to researching competitors

Thanks again

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jsh001 wrote:

If Arlo Pro 5 cameras have the same limit, that has just stopped my plan to set up Arlo Pro 5 cameras both inside and outside the house. Back to researching competitors

They do.

Note Arlo's features are centered on battery-powered cameras, and continuous livestreaming requires AC or PoE power.