Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
walpoletim
Initiate
Initiate

We have had our Video Doorbell linked to Google Home for a long time.

2 days ago notifications on google home stopped working - They still come through to the iOS app.

I have unlinked and linked, but still no notifications.

Silent mode is NOT enabled and the Doorbell is Armed.

Have any other users experienced this and do you have a fix as we no longer can hear our doorbell!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello, 

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve the missing or lack of notifications with Google devices. This should now be resolved with no further action needed on your part. Please let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

Shayne 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thanks again for your patience with me while I locate more info pertaining this. It looks like the team is trying to push for a target date no later than April 18th. There are 3rd party approvals that need to take place, so the team is pending this. 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi all,

The current target date for this update is around the second week of April. Thank you for your patience, I will provide more info as we get closer to release. 

108 REPLIES 108
chemjesh
Initiate
Initiate

I’m also facing the same problem, no notification on my google speakers.

JamesS1985
Guide
Guide

@ShayneS It's the second week of April. How's that fix looking? 

bartjuh999
Tutor
Tutor

Same here, its april and about a month now any updates?

JWilliamson
Initiate
Initiate

@ShayneS any more news please? It's well into April now and it's been very quiet from Arlo for a while now..

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I'm checking in for an updated ETA. I'll report back when I receive more detailed information.

Shayne

Qwent
Initiate
Initiate

This problem has persisted for over a month

I'm seeing very little reason not to charge back my past months subscription and move to another product

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks again for your patience with me while I locate more info pertaining this. It looks like the team is trying to push for a target date no later than April 18th. There are 3rd party approvals that need to take place, so the team is pending this. 

WatchingItAll
Guide
Guide

Hey, everybody, just a friendly comment to remind people that it's better to wait for a properly written, well tested update than to deal with the pain and inconvenience of a hastily released one.

N.B. my ONLY association with Arlo is that I'm a Customer like the rest of you, but I do have professional experience in software development, and I can tell you that a LOT needs to go on in the background before a GA (General Availability) release.

Even then, even after the most thorough of testing, **bleep** happens... Such as in the previous release.

Date estimates are a delicate balance between "too short" (and people complain when it's not there RIGHT by that date) and "too long" (more complaints).  Managing expectations is always a challenge.

So, please be kind and patient with Arlo developers, and let's not pressure them to release [another] buggy version!

bartjuh999
Tutor
Tutor

Although i understand your point this almost will take 6 weeks. A rollback of a previous version that did work could have been an option six weeks without a doorbell that gives a notification is a pretty long time. A buggy update is what goes us here in the first place end of march then 2 week of april now third week of april probably. No notification through the app about this only on this forum so… patience is a virtue but its pushing it imo

WatchingItAll
Guide
Guide

I agree with you on all points, @bartjuh999 , and a roll-back would seem a good temporary measure. That said, we don't know [all] the reason(s) for the last update (ARE there update notes?). If Security risk(s) were among them, and something Bad happened, who'd be held responsible?

But, yeah, communication is definitely not Arlo's strength. They could gain valuable Customer points by directly keeping them/us more informed!

I've had to go out and purchase another doorbell while this storm gets sorted out. One more thing to add to the already expensive Arlo experience!

ARLO: Are you listening?

Hammers79
Aspirant
Aspirant

I reported this issue with my audio doorbell over a month ago and was told to buy a new one as Google voice notifications not supported. Bought a new one and still the same issue. Got nowhere with support so trying here as from the thread looks like a known issue and fix imminent? Support didn't tell me this. Can I please get an update. Especially as was pushed to buy a new Doorbell and looks like might not have to.

drive88mph
Tutor
Tutor

This is my fith time coming to this forum for the same reason. Cant believe how unreliable the software is to keep being rejected by google. Its my only smart device that keeps giving me problems and my home is full of devices. Your devs need to do better.

dnewsholme
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've got this same issue my android phone gets the notifications but my wifes iphone and our google home speakers do not.

Neshan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also experiencing the same problem. Are you able to provide any advice on this matter?

Hammers79
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS I can see you have commented before on behalf of Arlo.

Can you update everyone on the latest end specifically when this will be fixed?

mattymatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issue. Gone through the tread and got to say afew points...

1. Thanks heaps @ShayneS , its a thankless job when there are issues like this and yet you are just relaying messages

2. I am a software developer as one of the other users are.... software is complex, but a p1 prod issue is important such a long delay in fixing a critical feature  seems very inappropriate.

3. Quality control / Testing doesnt seem too robust here to cause this... this is not a complex edge case and prob should had been picked up in automated testing or some level of manual testing.

4. Arlo needs to prioitise customers, theres lots of competition in this space, not having a working door bell for a month is really going to encourage customers who "need" it working to buy another product. In this space,  its like buying power tool batteries, you invest in the eco system. These customers once they replaced the door bell isnt going to say 3 months later "oh arlo finally fixed it, let me unscrew my xyz brand and ho back to arlo", once they purchased and invested elsewhere, that customers gone...

5. Maybe view customets as more then ginnie pigs for testing.... and if you do view as ginnie pigs, at least adopt a incremental roll out such that you are using the ginnie pigs correctly, ie, theres a opportunity to get feedback...

I hope to see this resolved soon

Arlo Essential Wire-Free Video Doorbell 

MichelSeb
Tutor
Tutor

Help! Just bought the gen 2 2k doorbell (today) It is connected to google home and I can see the live feed in the app. But no notification is coming from the google speakers when the doorbell button is pressed. I guess this is the reason??? 
hope it will be fixed soon!

MichelSeb
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. 

I just installed a new gen 2 doorbell (2K). 

I linked it with the google home app as described and the liv feed is visible in the google home app. That works great. 

BUT (!) my google home speaker will not playu a notification / chime when someon presses the doorbell button. 

The notifications are ON. The settings seems to be normal, in the google home app the notifications are ON for the doorbell... Please help? What am I missing?

Luwian
Aspirant
Aspirant
mattymatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

@MichelSeb - its been a while (at least a month) where this hasnt been fixed.... I don't want to discourage you, or back stab arlo in the process, but some very general advice.....

If it were me who just purchased a brand new product and it didn't work the way it was advertised, i would take the opportunity to see if there's a return policy and if that qualifies for it. If there is, i would action that policy and check in a month or 2 if the issue has been fixed and if so, re-evaluate then if you want to buy / try again.... the last thing i would want is a product that doesn't do what as promised (esp if it was part of your decision making process to buy it) and living in "hope" that it will get fixed soon.... return, wait for it to be fixed, try again.... the reality is, you dont know if it will ever be fixed.... its possible its "no longer supported feature" or anything else which can come to mind to remove a non working feature.... My lg tv advertised with gogole assist integration but yet doesnt seem to either... missing / removed feature 😉

MichelSeb
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. 
the thing is: a few years ago I bought the essential doorbell and there was an issue with the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it took Arlo ages to fix the issue so I returned it for a refund. 

now a few years later I decided to give it a new try… I can return it within the next 60 days… but it’s ridiculous that there is an issue everytime… hope they fix it soon. They said a solution would come April 18th? .. fingers crossed…

drive88mph
Tutor
Tutor

Oh I understand development...but in this case I can bet they are outsourcing ...I have other devices with more complicated workflows and they are working like they should. Arlo is just a joke this is a recurring issue, I bet they just patch code and don't do anything from scratch to save on developing costs

drive88mph
Tutor
Tutor

Good advice but not useful at least on my case. When I bought this everything was working great. One year later this happens...it gets fixed with a workaround...a few months later again...it gets fixed....some more time later....again...so at least with this type of issues there is no way to return devices when they advertise something and it works at first unless you buy extended warranty which sometimes are almost half the price of the device...but you expect this expensive things to work...

JamesS1985
Guide
Guide

Maybe they're sneakily trying to get people to buy the chime too?? 

Not going to happen.. would prefer spend 4 times more and get a Google doorbell. Willing to give it until May 1st before my patience finally cracks.

mattymatt
Aspirant
Aspirant

More likely they are trying to reduce their customer base so that when they exit the market, less complaints.... (only anser that makes logical sence to me base on how they operating and based on how they treat the customers... each customer that invests ina different brand is unlikely to come back, its like buying power tool batteries..., also, band image isnt really a thing they appear to care too much about which will affect number of new customers in a competitive market...)