Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trigger recording from SmartThings routine

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gabrielst
Guide
Guide

I have been a client of Arlo cameras since 2018. At that time, the integration and the amount of features available when integrating the camera with SmartThings (application and other devices) was really good. I could easily trigger a recording when a physical motion sensor detected something, and the recording was stored in my Arlo Hub.

Happens that I moved and bought a new set of cameras hoping to get the same experience as before. Now I have 4 Arlo Essential Spotlight cameras and 2 Essential 2K Outdoor Cameras. Also, a hub VMB4540r4 connected with a 256Gb pendrive.

I tried to create a new routine in the SmartThings app when one of my sensors (not the camera) detects a movement, it triggers a recording in a specific Arlo camera which is saved locally in my Arlo Hub. It just doesn't work. No errors, no warnings.

I'm assuming this is related to Arlo pushing the subscription to their cloud solution, something that I just don't want.

So, is there any solution to get that simple integration working?

Has Arlo really changed that much in the last years to push their solution at the level of providing such a poor product -former cameras were able to record locally to their hubs?

Regards,

Gabriel

2 REPLIES 2
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You should be able to still save your videos via local storage. Try these troubleshooting steps to see if helps:
https://kb.arlo.com/000062818/How-do-I-set-up-local-storage-backups-using-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-S...

gabrielst
Guide
Guide

Thanks for this reply. However, I have no problems with the base itself recording to the connected pendrive, this part of the process is working.

The issue is the recording being triggered from a sensor, integrated through SmartThings.

Today I did random tests and figured out that the recording is triggered when the camera has a Arlo subscription. I know this because 2 of my cameras were bought last month and are still under trial subscription plan.

In other words, Arlo has changed (from 2020 as I can remember) to push subscriptions over all. Before that, it was completely possible to trigger recordings using SmartThings integration, and these files were stored in the connected Hub storage.

The question I keep here is still the same: Is it possible to trigger recordings, and store those files in the connected hub, through SmartThings without an Arlo subscription plan?

Again, to make it very clear. This scenario was simple and achievable with Arlo models from a couple of years ago.